Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2828 views

4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

All the functions in the context menu fail on paths containing special
characters like german Umlaute. So it is not possible to salvage, purge,
set trustees, set flags like Delete Inhibit / Rename Inhibit.
With 4.90 SP2 no problem on the very same paths.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
27 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Hi,

urs.schaltegger@conexus.ch wrote:
>
> All the functions in the context menu fail on paths containing special
> characters like german Umlaute. So it is not possible to salvage, purge,
> set trustees, set flags like Delete Inhibit / Rename Inhibit.
> With 4.90 SP2 no problem on the very same paths.


What server OS, Service Pack, and what filesystem?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

> What server OS, Service Pack, and what filesystem?

Server:
Netware 6 SP 5, Cluster Services -> NSS
Netware 6.5 SP3, Border Manager -> NSS and Legacy
Netware 5.1 SP8, Legacy

So it is definitely a pure Client issue, nothing to do with the Server.

Client:
Windows XP SP2 German, Client 4.91 German (PKA, nwfs_5, nwgina_3)

Create a folder named Testäöü for example and try to use purge or salvage
from the context menu -> error. Create a subdirectory within Testäöü and
get the properties of the subdirectory -> the Tabs 'Netware Info'
and 'Netware Rights' are not even available, purge or salvage won't work
either.

Regards

Urs Schaltegger
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Hi,

urs.schaltegger@conexus.ch wrote:
>
> > What server OS, Service Pack, and what filesystem?

>
> Server:
> Netware 6 SP 5, Cluster Services -> NSS
> Netware 6.5 SP3, Border Manager -> NSS and Legacy
> Netware 5.1 SP8, Legacy
>
> So it is definitely a pure Client issue, nothing to do with the Server.


Well, I tested it here on NW5.1SP8 / TFS, NW65SP3 / NSS and NW6.0SP5 /
TFS, and it works properly on all of them.

> Client:
> Windows XP SP2 German, Client 4.91 German (PKA, nwfs_5, nwgina_3)


Well, you could have posted these details first. My tests were done with
the plain 4.91 client, english. I doubt it has anything to do with the
client language though, but it might be one of your patches, either PKA
(doubt it), or possibly nwfs_5.

> Create a folder named Testäöü for example and try to use purge or salvage
> from the context menu -> error.


No problem here.

> Create a subdirectory within Testäöü and
> get the properties of the subdirectory -> the Tabs 'Netware Info'
> and 'Netware Rights' are not even available, purge or salvage won't work
> either.


No problem either.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

>> Client:
>> Windows XP SP2 German, Client 4.91 German (PKA, nwfs_5, nwgina_3)

>
> Well, you could have posted these details first.


Sorry. If I have a problem I always use all released patches before
opening a thread. Therefor I did not write those details first.

> My tests were done with
> the plain 4.91 client, english. I doubt it has anything to do with the
> client language though,


Correct. All the DLLs and SYSs involved are language-independent.

> but it might be one of your patches, either PKA
> (doubt it), or possibly nwfs_5.


I'll test with older patchlevels, can you forward the issue to client
development such as the fix will make its way into 4.91 SP1 and 4.92?

Regards

Urs Schaltegger

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Hi,

urs.schaltegger@conexus.ch wrote:
>
> I'll test with older patchlevels, can you forward the issue to client
> development such as the fix will make its way into 4.91 SP1 and 4.92?


I first need to have full details when exactly it happens, and how to
duplicate it. Let me know what you find out. In the meantime, I'll test
with PKA at least.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Hi,

Massimo Rosen wrote:
> In the meantime, I'll test
> with PKA at least.


No problem either, NW6.5SP3 / NSS.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

>> I'll test with older patchlevels, can you forward the issue to client
>> development such as the fix will make its way into 4.91 SP1 and 4.92?

>
> I first need to have full details when exactly it happens, and how to
> duplicate it. Let me know what you find out. In the meantime, I'll test
> with PKA at least.


Ok, so I started with XP SP2 German patched until current date.
Only TCP/IP installed and Client for Microsoft Networks.
Client Installation always with NDPS, NICI and NMAS, no NetIdentity, no
ZfD 3.2 components on 4.90.

Installed Client 4.90 German -> works as designed
Installed 4.90 SP2 -> works as designed
Installed 4.90 PSP2_PKD -> works as designed
Installed Client 4.91 German -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 PKA -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwfs_5 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwgina_3 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 SP1 Beta -> FAILS

Removed Client and NICI
Installed Client 4.91 German -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 PKA -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwfs_5 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwgina_3 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 SP1 Beta 1 -> FAILS

Removed Client and NICI
Installed Client 4.91 English -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 PKA -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwfs_5 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 nwgina_3 -> FAILS
Installed 4.91 SP1 Beta 1 -> FAILS

So it seems that it happens on XP SP2 German with Client 4.91 of any
Language and Patchlevel. And with 4.90 until Patchlevel SP2 PKD it works
fine.


Regards

Urs Schaltegger

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Hi,

urs.schaltegger@conexus.ch wrote:
>
> So it seems that it happens on XP SP2 German with Client 4.91 of any
> Language and Patchlevel.


Well,again, not here. I *am* using XPSP2 German with client 4.91 and
4.91PKA. Both work fine, albeit both with english clients. Do you have
*any* third party software in the mix? AV scanner for instances, both on
server and/or client?

Also, what is the codepage on your server?

And finally, your tests might well be affected because you didn't start
clean, but uninstalled inbetween.


CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Urs,

Is UTF8 enabled in the Advanced Settings tab of the client's properties
("Use UTF8 encoding and NCPs" in English)?

Can I save Japanese files on a server with an English code page?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10094211.htm

Supporting Mixed Language Environments with Novell NetWare
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10097059.htm

--
Tony Pedretti


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Tony,

Tony Pedretti wrote:
>
> Urs,
>
> Is UTF8 enabled in the Advanced Settings tab of the client's properties
> ("Use UTF8 encoding and NCPs" in English)?


Good idea, but doesn't make a difference for me. It works properly
either way for me.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

For what it's worth, TID10098056 seems to be describing something like
that (which isn't resolved yet).

Unable to Salvage files in Explorer on Directory with Non-English
Characters - TID10098056
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10098056.htm

urs.schaltegger@conexus.ch wrote:

> All the functions in the context menu fail on paths containing special
> characters like german Umlaute. So it is not possible to salvage, purge,
> set trustees, set flags like Delete Inhibit / Rename Inhibit.
> With 4.90 SP2 no problem on the very same paths.


Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(to email, remove the crumbs)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

Alan,

Alan Adams wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, TID10098056 seems to be describing something like
> that (which isn't resolved yet).


Thanks for that. But do you have any more info than the TID? The TID
sounds as if it's a general issue, but it works perfectly fine for me!?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

> Do you have
> *any* third party software in the mix? AV scanner for instances, both on
> server and/or client?


AV on the client, McAfee 8.0i Enterprise Patchlevel 10
AV on two 6.0 SP5 servers, McAfee Netshield 4.63
no AV on 6.5 SP3 server, two other 6.0 SP5 servers and on the 5.1 SP8
server

> And finally, your tests might well be affected because you didn't start
> clean, but uninstalled inbetween.


I cleaned registry manually and checked filesystem after uninstall.

But then again, why does 4.90 SP2 work without any problem on the very
same client?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 4.91 fails on paths containing special characters

> Is UTF8 enabled in the Advanced Settings tab of the client's properties
> ("Use UTF8 encoding and NCPs" in English)?


I tried both settings. The error I get is the same.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.