Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
850 views

AS11.1 uncompressing files

We have a NW6.5sp4a cluster with an ultrium2 tape library attached. We run Arcserve 11.1 for backup but we have a problem in that when a backup runs it will decompress all the files, the volume that has a problem with this is 300Gb in size with 2000000 files both large and small and many directories.
There is only 12Gb of space left on the volume with 9Gb of compressed space and 20Gb space saved by compression.
When we do a full backup the volume will run out of space, but after the backup it will recompress the file and we will end up with 12Gb free space again.

Has anyone any ideas?

The volume is NSS and from the compression screen you can see the files uncompressing when the backup runs. I have also checked in the backup job that it keeps the files compressed.

Thanks,
Lewis.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AS11.1 uncompressing files

Hi,

> Lewis Thompson wrote:
>
> We have a NW6.5sp4a cluster with an ultrium2 tape library attached. We
> run Arcserve 11.1 for backup but we have a problem in that when a
> backup runs it will decompress all the files, the volume that has a
> problem with this is 300Gb in size with 2000000 files both large and
> small and many directories.
> There is only 12Gb of space left on the volume with 9Gb of compressed
> space and 20Gb space saved by compression.
> When we do a full backup the volume will run out of space, but after
> the backup it will recompress the file and we will end up with 12Gb
> free space again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas?


There are only two possibilities:
1. For some reaosn your arcserve is not using TSA (should be noticed in
the log).
2. YOu have A/V software running that jumps on the file access by the
TSAs, and *that* decompresses the files. TSA requests themself will
never do that.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AS11.1 uncompressing files

> Hi,
>
> > Lewis Thompson wrote:
> >
> > We have a NW6.5sp4a cluster with an ultrium2 tape library attached. We
> > run Arcserve 11.1 for backup but we have a problem in that when a
> > backup runs it will decompress all the files, the volume that has a
> > problem with this is 300Gb in size with 2000000 files both large and
> > small and many directories.
> > There is only 12Gb of space left on the volume with 9Gb of compressed
> > space and 20Gb space saved by compression.
> > When we do a full backup the volume will run out of space, but after
> > the backup it will recompress the file and we will end up with 12Gb
> > free space again.
> >
> > Has anyone any ideas?

>
> There are only two possibilities:
> 1. For some reaosn your arcserve is not using TSA (should be noticed in
> the log).
> 2. YOu have A/V software running that jumps on the file access by the
> TSAs, and *that* decompresses the files. TSA requests themself will
> never do that.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de


I have the the same problem as mentioned above, and have checked Massimo,
ideas,
My backup uses the TSA,
And ive disable the A/V software still the files decompress.
NW6.5 SP4A 2 NODE Cluster Backed up from seperate NW65. server, running
Arcserver 9.01
Any other Suggestions???

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AS11.1 uncompressing files

Hi,

craig.walker@gb.nyklogistics.com wrote:
> And ive disable the A/V software still the files decompress.


Disabled, or completely unloaded? I've seen AV software do that
eventhough it was disabled. It no longer scanned the files when
disabled, but it still intercepted the TSA read.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AS11.1 uncompressing files

> Hi,
>
> craig.walker@gb.nyklogistics.com wrote:
> > And ive disable the A/V software still the files decompress.

>
> Disabled, or completely unloaded? I've seen AV software do that
> eventhough it was disabled. It no longer scanned the files when
> disabled, but it still intercepted the TSA read.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Support Connection Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de


Completely unloaded on the node that is running that resource,
and is also unloaded on the server were arcserver is running.
It is STILL loaded on the other node running other resources,

Craig Walker


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AS11.1 uncompressing files

HI there is a fix for this from CA, it consists of a new nwclus.nlm and
nwclus.msg file CA will send to you if you can get hold of a netware
engineer!!!.. there is also a fix for arcserve 11.1
Craig Walker


> > Hi,
> >
> > craig.walker@gb.nyklogistics.com wrote:
> > > And ive disable the A/V software still the files decompress.

> >
> > Disabled, or completely unloaded? I've seen AV software do that
> > eventhough it was disabled. It no longer scanned the files when
> > disabled, but it still intercepted the TSA read.
> >
> > CU,
> > --
> > Massimo Rosen
> > Novell Support Connection Sysop
> > No emails please!
> > http://www.cfc-it.de

>
> Completely unloaded on the node that is running that resource,
> and is also unloaded on the server were arcserver is running.
> It is STILL loaded on the other node running other resources,
>
> Craig Walker
>
>


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.