Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

About migration of NSS volumes from Netware to OES

Hi guys.

I need advice about the process of migration of a few NSS volumes on a cluster from a Netware 6 System
to OES 11.

The scenario is like this: I have a cluster with 4 NSS volumes sharing a lot of folders to the users. This NSS
volumes comes from a SAN station. So, the point is I need to migrate this NSS volumes to a new cluster (not
migrating the actual cluster to OES). The process seems easy, but I need to ask you 🙂 some question. The new cluster
is on the same eDirectory tree.

About the process of migrating the NSS volumes, is as easy like

1) cluster offline for every resource/nss volume
2) deactivate the volumes on the Netware server with nssmu
3) deattach the lun on the SAN for every nss volume and every server
4) attach the lun on the new server
5) Change the eDirectory object for every NSS volume on iManager
6) Create the new resource for every NSS volume on the cluster
7) Bring the new resource online and test

I have three questions.
- First one: Is necessary to do something with the trustees databases? Reading
the doc seems that if the new volume is on the same eDirectory tree, its ok.
- And the second one: I would like to create a snapshot of every volume on the SAN (just in case) and use this new
volume, if I would need to make a rollback. Do you think its necessary?
- The last one: Would be possible attach the new volume on a different eDirectory object, without deleting the old one?

Thank you all!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Massimo may be able to definitely answer the NW NSS to OES11 situation, but officially the Novell docs do not support your NW 6.0 system to OES11 without an interim NW 6.5 SP8 server involved.

Unless you meant NW 6.5.8 when you said: "NetWare 6 System" above.

If you're on NW 6.5.8, I do believe it will work, although I think you'll have to do the trustee resync manually which can take some time (we had a 2 TB volume with like several million files and it took about 4 hours on an HP BL460c dual-core Xeon 3.0 Ghz with 4 GB RAM on 64-bit OES2 with fibre channel disks and 2 GB FC connection). Doesn't matter if the volume is in the same tree or not (we did a rolling cluster upgrade, so obviously ours WAS in the same tree and we had to do the trustee sync --or let it happen, automagically I should say) due to how OES Linux handles the trustees vs. NetWare.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2196377 wrote:
Massimo may be able to definitely answer the NW NSS to OES11 situation, but officially the Novell docs do not support your NW 6.0 system to OES11 without an interim NW 6.5 SP8 server involved.

Unless you meant NW 6.5.8 when you said: "NetWare 6 System" above.

If you're on NW 6.5.8, I do believe it will work, although I think you'll have to do the trustee resync manually which can take some time (we had a 2 TB volume with like several million files and it took about 4 hours on an HP BL460c dual-core Xeon 3.0 Ghz with 4 GB RAM on 64-bit OES2 with fibre channel disks and 2 GB FC connection). Doesn't matter if the volume is in the same tree or not (we did a rolling cluster upgrade, so obviously ours WAS in the same tree and we had to do the trustee sync --or let it happen, automagically I should say) due to how OES Linux handles the trustees vs. NetWare.

Thank you kjhurni for your answer. My mistake, I mean Netware 6.5 to OES2 under SLES10. Is my environment right now. So, as far as I know, its supported, isn it?

And also as far as I know, its not necessary to resync the trustees after the migration, right?

Thank you so much for your support.

Antonio.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 16.05.2012 17:16, antoniogutierrez wrote:
> Thank you kjhurni for your answer. My mistake, I mean Netware 6.5 to
> OES2 under SLES10. Is my environment right now. So, as far as I know,
> its supported, isn it?

Yes, it is.

> And also as far as I know, its not necessary to resync the trustees
> after the migration, right?

It will happen automatically, but that might not happen immediately.
It's good practice to manually kickoff the trustee resync after the move.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

mrosen;2196394 wrote:
Hi.

On 16.05.2012 17:16, antoniogutierrez wrote:
> Thank you kjhurni for your answer. My mistake, I mean Netware 6.5 to
> OES2 under SLES10. Is my environment right now. So, as far as I know,
> its supported, isn it?

Yes, it is.

> And also as far as I know, its not necessary to resync the trustees
> after the migration, right?

It will happen automatically, but that might not happen immediately.
It's good practice to manually kickoff the trustee resync after the move.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Untitled Document

Yes, we had like 2 volumes where it appeared to never auto-run the trustee sync. Unfortunately (at least in OES2) there was no log file or indication of if it was happening or when it was done.

We ended up manually running the sync just to be sure.

Unfortunately if the sync WAS auto-running (since you had no way of knowing), and you started a manual sync, it would take twice as along for it to run.

I think I put something in my migration guide on how to possibly tell if it was running (short of turning on the ncp debug logs or something).

If you manually run it, then you KNOW it's running and can tell when it's done because you get a little bit of screen output/feedback.

But possibly this was changed in OES11, not sure.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.