mcolwell Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1816 views

Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one...

Can a user's "Home Directory" on a NSS volume be accessed by a NCP client on the inside of our network, and be accessed with iFolder from outside our network?

I'm wondering if iFolder could be used as a replacement for Netstorage... I know this defiantly wasn't the case with iFolder 2.X, but 3.X seems to have put this in a bit of a gray area (at least as far as its documentation).

Thanks,
Matt

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

On 28/05/2010 17:06, mcolwell wrote:

> I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one...
>
> Can a user's "Home Directory" on a NSS volume be accessed by a NCP
> client on the inside of our network, and be accessed with iFolder from
> outside our network?
>
> I'm wondering if iFolder could be used as a replacement for
> Netstorage... I know this defiantly wasn't the case with iFolder 2.X,
> but 3.X seems to have put this in a bit of a gray area (at least as far
> as its documentation).


No this is not currently possible.

I suggest that you log an enhancement request via www.novell.com/rms

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

mcolwell;1980674 wrote:
I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one...

Can a user's "Home Directory" on a NSS volume be accessed by a NCP client on the inside of our network, and be accessed with iFolder from outside our network?

I'm wondering if iFolder could be used as a replacement for Netstorage... I know this defiantly wasn't the case with iFolder 2.X, but 3.X seems to have put this in a bit of a gray area (at least as far as its documentation).

Thanks,
Matt


Not possible, but I think this feature is on the road map for iFolder if I remember correctly.

Thomas
0 Likes
mcolwell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

smflood;1980697 wrote:




No this is not currently possible.



That's what I figured, but it's always nice to know for sure.

Maybe it will be a feature in iFolder 4.

-Matt

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

On 28/05/2010 18:16, mcolwell wrote:

> That's what I figured, but it's always nice to know for sure.


Myself and a few others have had this conversation with Novell Product
Manager.

> Maybe it will be a feature in iFolder 4.


Not so much an iFolder feature as a fundamental change to the various
other protocols supported with Open Enterprise Server.

As I said log an enhancement request - Novell like business cases.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

You can use NetStorage from outside the network. That will allow you to get network "drives" like your home directory and it can also see your iFolder, so you can get them both from the same interface.


>>> mcolwell<mcolwell@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 5/28/2010 12:06 PM >>>


I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one...

Can a user's "Home Directory" on a NSS volume be accessed by a NCP
client on the inside of our network, and be accessed with iFolder from
outside our network?

I'm wondering if iFolder could be used as a replacement for
Netstorage... I know this defiantly wasn't the case with iFolder 2.X,
but 3.X seems to have put this in a bit of a gray area (at least as far
as its documentation).

Thanks,
Matt


--
mcolwell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
mcolwell's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1574
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=411780
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

On 09/06/2010 12:09, Keith Larson wrote:

> You can use NetStorage from outside the network. That will allow you to
> get network "drives" like your home directory and it can also see your
> iFolder, so you can get them both from the same interface.


From section 3.3 of the OES2 SP2: NetStorage for Linux Administration
Guide:

--begin--
IMPORTANT:It is not possible to access iFolder 2.x or 3.x by using
NetStorage on Linux.
---end---

and also

--begin--
7.2.4 iFolder Storage Provider

This option is not functional on OES Linux. However, it does function on
OES NetWare®.
---end---

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
mcolwell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

Keith Larson;1985240 wrote:
You can use NetStorage from outside the network. That will allow you to get network "drives" like your home directory and it can also see your iFolder, so you can get them both from the same interface.



Right... but I was looking to replace Netstorage with iFolder - not provide access to both through one interface.

The problem that I'm really trying to solve is that Windows 7 doesn't come with a NetStorage compatible WebDAV client - so users are forced to use the web browser interface -or- buy a 3rd party WebDAV client. Neither of these two options are favorable.

I had hoped that iFolder would be a good substitute. Too bad this isn't the case.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Access to iFolder via NCP Client??

On 10/06/2010 16:56, mcolwell wrote:

> Right... but I was looking to replace Netstorage with iFolder - not
> provide access to both through one interface.


They address different needs so I wouldn't say iFolder is a direct
replacement for NetStorage.

> The problem that I'm really trying to solve is that Windows 7 doesn't
> come with a NetStorage compatible WebDAV client - so users are forced to
> use the web browser interface -or- buy a 3rd party WebDAV client.
> Neither of these two options are favorable.


Ah! In which case I can say that bugs have been logged with Novell
relating to the above (one certainly by me during beta) and are actively
being worked on. Not sure of a timescale since it involves input from
Microsoft.

> I had hoped that iFolder would be a good substitute. Too bad this isn't
> the case.


As I said above iFolder != NetStorage.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.