Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Add NetWare to tree having only OES servers?

Add NetWare to tree having only OES servers?
I seem to remember there were some restrictions but I can locate any of those old documents.

The customer has two NetWare 6.5 servers running on hardware of the same vintage. One of them runs GroupWise 6.5.

There are two OES 2015 servers setup in a new tree ruining on VMware. The plan is to upgrade and have GroupWise 2014 run on one of the OES servers.

The upgrade will require:

1. Upgrade GroupWise 6.5 to GroupWise 8 on NetWare.
  2. Migrate GroupWise 8 from NetWare to OES
  3. Upgrade GroupWise 8 on OES to GroupWise 2014

Because the hardware is so old, there is some concern it may not survive steps 1 and 2.

The plan is to create a new virtual NetWare server with GroupWise 6.5 leaving the existing NetWare server as a backup and do all the work on the virtual NetWare server. It would simplify everything if the new virtual NetWare server could be installed into the new eDir tree which currently only contains the two OES 2015 servers.

Are there any restrictions I should be aware of?
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Add NetWare to tree having only OES servers?

Hi Kevin,

I've done so in the past (added NetWare to a tree running OES2) and don't remember having run into any restrictions.

Only thing that comes to mind is not to add any replicas to the NetWare server.
Could bee that there are some added gotcha's when having OES2015 in the mix, no experiences on that one.

As for the GroupWise upgrade.... I'd skip step 2 and just do 1 and 3.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2454175 wrote:
As for the GroupWise upgrade.... I'd skip step 2 and just do 1 and 3.

Good Point!

The virtual NetWare server is just a stepping stone and step 2 would allow me to retire NetWare much sooner.

I've run GwoupWise 8 on OES Linux but not GroupWise 2014. I'll do my homework and maybe save a few steps.

Your feedback is appreciated.
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

KBOYLE;2454196 wrote:
...I've run GwoupWise 8 on OES Linux but not GroupWise 2014. I'll do my homework and maybe save a few steps.

Not too big a difference there (other than missing the ConsoleOne bits).

The most important thing is making sure agents are configured to communicate over IP and webadmin accounts have been enabled.
After having moved the Domain en PO data you can configure the GroupWise admin service to add those and configure from there on.

If the current GroupWise system is using libraries (external to the PO), there are some extra things to consider.

Danita has great guides on moving and upgrading to 2014/2014 R2. I can definitely recommend getting one of those before proceeding (link for reference: http://postie.caledonia.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=49&product_id=206)

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

KBOYLE;2454160 wrote:
...Because the hardware is so old, there is some concern it may not survive steps 1 and 2.

As added note: Going through the 6.5 > 8 > 2014 is the supported way.

I have read of others going straight from 6.5 to 2014 without having issues. So if it really comes to a hardware failure (or you are feeling "brave"), all that is needed is a good copy or restore of the GroupWise 6.5 Domain and PO data and rebuild directly to 2014.

Others that have had experience of upgrading from 6.5 to 2014 might chime in.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.