Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Adding a drive to SLES in VM issue

SLES10sp4
ZCM10sp3
ESXi5

Client needs more space for imaging....OK that seems pretty easy as I already did this once on this server.
So I created a new mount point under the content-repo directory (images2)
added a hard drive in the machine config larger than the client wants, set it as controller 0, drive 3 (also tried controller 1 drive 0 with no success).
ran a echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan (and echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan just to be sure)
no 3rd drive (sdc) in /dev

rebooted
still no third drive.

I am at a loss here, not quite understanding the issue.
Was thinking about expanding the original 2nd drive but that is greyed out (VM issue? so that is an option if there is a VM guy that can tell me where to fix that)

I did not setup the VM environment, so am still discovering things done in a way different than I would normally, so that might be one of the reasons things are not working like I think they should on that side.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

WO
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

whiteowl76;2225712 wrote:
SLES10sp4
ZCM10sp3
ESXi5

Client needs more space for imaging....OK that seems pretty easy as I already did this once on this server.
added a hard drive in the machine config larger than the client wants, set it as controller 0, drive 3 (also tried controller 1 drive 0 with no success).
ran a echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan (and echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan just to be sure)

rebooted
still no third drive.

Was thinking about expanding the original 2nd drive but that is greyed out (VM issue? so that is an option if there is a VM guy that can tell me where to fix that)

I did not setup the VM environment, so am still discovering things done in a way different than I would normally, so that might be one of the reasons things are not working like I think they should on that side.

WO

Hmm, I've done this all the time.
Power down the VM
Go into the ESXi console, find the VM
Edit the settings
Add new hard disk
(I'm assuming in this case, it's hard disk #3)--and choose:
SCSI (0:3)

Now, boot up the VM

I usually go into Yast -> Partitioner, and the disk should show up there and format as say, EXT3, set your mount point to like: /images
and then you could probably sym link the content repo to the /images (you'll probably have to move stuff since it sounds like you already have things there).--I'm not sure exactly on that last bit. But I add disks all the time to vmware and it "just works"--I'm assuming you have the vmware tools installed as well.

You can also expand the 2nd disk, but you have to power off the VM in order to change the size. Assuming it's EXT2/EXT3 vs LVM, then boot up with gparted and expand the partition (there may be another way to do this, but I'm not sure)

I also think that you can only expand the disk when it's offline AND you have no snapshots in existence.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes on disk 3. I also chose scsi 0:3, the device does not show up in the partitioner, so I checked the dev directory for a sdc - not there. That tells me the OS id not seeing it as a disk for some unknown reason. This is driving me loonie. I need to verify the vmfs version and block size if vmfs3 fir the expansion question. Also need to verify the exact version of ESXi being used.should be 5, but........
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

whiteowl76;2225817 wrote:
Yes on disk 3. I also chose scsi 0:3, the device does not show up in the partitioner, so I checked the dev directory for a sdc - not there. That tells me the OS id not seeing it as a disk for some unknown reason. This is driving me loonie. I need to verify the vmfs version and block size if vmfs3 fir the expansion question. Also need to verify the exact version of ESXi being used.should be 5, but........

I don't believe so (in terms of ESXi version used) I know version 4.x and 5.x worked fine when I added virtual drives in OES2 SP2/SP3 and higher, along with SLES 10 SP2 and higher.

If you added the disk on the "fly" (meaning while the OS was up), did you do the rescan-scsi-bus.sh --forcrescan

?

Although if you rebooted the server since, that should work too
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I mentioned the vmfs version due to the inability to expand the drive. If the datastore was created with vmfs3 and the incorrect block size was used would limit the drive size. Yes I tried a reboot when the echo line did not work. For grins and giggles I tried your command. No difference.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

whiteowl76;2225842 wrote:
I mentioned the vmfs version due to the inability to expand the drive. If the datastore was created with vmfs3 and the incorrect block size was used would limit the drive size. Yes I tried a reboot when the echo line did not work. For grins and giggles I tried your command. No difference.

Hmm, vmfs version 3 should work. That's what we have in Vsphere 4.x and I can expand drives all the time (well I have to power the VM off, make sure I have no snapshots and then expand it in Vmware and then gparted to expand the EXT2/EXT3 stuff)

Only ESXi 5 I think added the newer vmfs, although haven't checked yet (I'll check at home tonight).

Technically the underlying OS (SLES) is what should be able to see the disk, I'm not sure how to go about determine what/where is wrong given that disk1/disk2 are showing up and it's the same SCSI driver.

You may have to ask in the SUSE forms.

Otherwise I'll ping my collegues and see if anyone has ideas.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

whiteowl76;2225842 wrote:

The blocksize would only be a factor is the vmdk disk is already at it's maximum size, which blocksize are you using and how big is that sizewise greyed out vmdk?

Also as Kevin mentioned, snapshots on the VM will indeed block the ability to resize the VM's disks. Did you double check that is not the case?

VMFS3 formatted volumes can be converted to VMFS5 on the fly... which can be done if you no longer need to maintain the VMFS3 format for backward compatibility with ESX(i) 4/3 hosts or tools that might be connected to the store and expect the VMFS3 format.

One thing to check could be if the VMware tools are installed correctly, running and of a current version. As your primary disk is there, it does not seem to relevant, but you never know how it could be affecting things is something is messed up there.

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

whiteowl76;2225712 wrote:
SLES10sp4
ZCM10sp3
ESXi5

rebooted
still no third drive.

WO

Not sure if this will help.

TID # 3955167
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.