Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Adding an OES11 Server to eDir Tree from remote location

Greetings.

We are adding a new OES11 Linux server to an existing tree. We want to setup this server from a remote location. We typically will use a point-to-point VPN for this so the new server can join the tree and replicate. However, the router at the other end in this case does not support point-to-point VPN tunnels.

So, two questions:

a) Assuming no VPN connection, is there an easy way to get eDirectory information onto the new server? I know eDir can be backed up and then restored, but this is really meant to be done on either the same server or a replacement server that will have the same name, etc.

b) Suggestions for setting up a peer-to-peer setup between the two locations using something other than the routers. i.e. perhaps using windows PCs at each location. The main location, btw, has no Linux at this point--only Netware and windows PCs.

Ideas?

TIA,
Dan
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you want to add any OESx server to an existing tree, once in that tree, it needs to communicate to other server replicas, so you will have to have a data communications link capable of routing the NCP traffic between your remote office and your main office where the other servers are. (T1, T3, etc. WAN link)

If all you have is an internet connection (ie: Broadband, Road Runner, FIOS, etc.) and you don't have a point to point tunnel, then I imagine it will be very difficult to accomplish this (short of setting up some other server OS on each end to function as a router and have it tunnel the data).

My collegues may have other ideas/solutions that may work better.

If it were me and I had no direct WAN link (ie, I'm just on broadband internet) I'd just setup the server in its own tree out there and have the users login locally. Or invest in hardware that allows for point to point VPN (easier said than done, I know).
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

idea ; take an old box ; setup netware with bordermanager if you have...
let bordermanager do the vpn.
you can also try to setup a virtual netware on your new server to do that.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

would it have to be bordermanager on both sides? The main location (final destination of new server) has a NTW 6.5 SP8 server. Can I just run the BorderManager VPN on that or does it have to be a separate machine?

Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <datakey.5c9muo@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Datakey wrote:
> would it have to be bordermanager on both sides? The main location
> (final destination of new server) has a NTW 6.5 SP8 server. Can I just
> run the BorderManager VPN on that or does it have to be a separate
> machine?
>

Yes, you would need BM on both sides, and yes it should be able to run it
on the existing server depending on your network setup as it will need to
have a public IP (at both ends) to create the tunnel.

Craig Johnson is a top expert on BorderManager with many useful bits
about using it at http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/ and he does frequent
the BorderManager forums last I looked at them.

Andy Konecny
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.