John_Gill
New Member.
2252 views

After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

Hi,

Running SuSE11sp3 with OES11sp2. I recently migrated the user data and the server ID to new hardware using "miggui" All is good and everyone can login and access their data.

The issue is that there are no Volume and Pool objects in iManager/Console1. On the server I ran "nssmu" and select "F4" to update NDS and get the following errors:
Error 601 Error adding POOL to NDS
Error 765 Error converting GUID to name

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Regards
John
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

John_Gill;2430813 wrote:
Hi,

Running SuSE11sp3 with OES11sp2. I recently migrated the user data and the server ID to new hardware using "miggui" All is good and everyone can login and access their data.

The issue is that there are no Volume and Pool objects in iManager/Console1. On the server I ran "nssmu" and select "F4" to update NDS and get the following errors:
Error 601 Error adding POOL to NDS
Error 765 Error converting GUID to name

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Regards
John


So you did a Consolidation Project in the miggui for the NSS Data, and then did an ID Transfer project when finished?

If so, and the volume/pool objects are not there in eDir, then they weren't present prior to the migration either. The ID Transfer basically copies the DIB files and does a changeip script, but re-uses all the "old/existing" eDir objects that the origin server had.

What was the original system you migrated from?
(ie: NetWare 6.5, OES2, OES2 SP3, etc.)
0 Likes
John_Gill
New Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

Hi,

I install SLES and OES on new hardware with a temp server name. Then migrated the data and trustees from the NSS volume and then did an ID transfer. User data and right are 100% and everyone can login with no issues.

The migration was from SLES11sp3 with OES11sp2 to the same OS, just different hardware with more NSS disk space. As far as I can remember the NDS objects were there, but maybe not...

Regards
John
0 Likes
HvdHeuvel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:06:01 +0000, John Gill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I install SLES and OES on new hardware with a temp server name. Then
> migrated the data and trustees from the NSS volume and then did an ID
> transfer. User data and right are 100% and everyone can login with no
> issues.
>
> The migration was from SLES11sp3 with OES11sp2 to the same OS, just
> different hardware with more NSS disk space. As far as I can remember
> the NDS objects were there, but maybe not...
>
> Regards John


I would suggest you to delete the old nssAdmin object, and re-create the
nssAdmin object on the new server. See section 29.3.2 here :
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bbveub0.html


Then proceed and update eDirectory with the Pool objects again :
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bqpdcfx.html

or in case it is a cluster with shared pools:
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/blkkliw.html


Thanks
Hans

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

HvdHeuvel;2431161 wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:06:01 +0000, John Gill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I install SLES and OES on new hardware with a temp server name. Then
> migrated the data and trustees from the NSS volume and then did an ID
> transfer. User data and right are 100% and everyone can login with no
> issues.
>
> The migration was from SLES11sp3 with OES11sp2 to the same OS, just
> different hardware with more NSS disk space. As far as I can remember
> the NDS objects were there, but maybe not...
>
> Regards John


I would suggest you to delete the old nssAdmin object, and re-create the
nssAdmin object on the new server. See section 29.3.2 here :
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bbveub0.html


Then proceed and update eDirectory with the Pool objects again :
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bqpdcfx.html

or in case it is a cluster with shared pools:
https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/blkkliw.html


Thanks
Hans


I think when Hans says the "old' nssadmin object, you may need to delete both.

When doing an ID transfer, and let's say you had OLDSERVER and TEMPSERVER as your source/target server names.
In eDir, you should've had:
OLDSERVER-admin (or whatever, I can't remember if it was hyphenated or what off the top of my head, but you'll know which one is which)
and
TEMPSERVER-admin
userid's in eDir in the ou that contains the servers. At least with OES11 and OES11-SP1 miggui this is what it did to us when migrating from OES2 SP3 with ID transfer.

AFTER the ID transfer, the temp server assumes the "old" server Identity. EXCEPT for the nssadmin, for some reason.
So you'll end up with the "original" server name, but the "nssadmin" userid will actually still remain the TEMPSERVER-admin in this case.

So if you want to be REALLY sure and re-create it, you'll want to make sure BOTH are deleted/gone.

Although my experience has been that if nssadmin is hosed, it won't even mount the volume.

--Kevin
0 Likes
HvdHeuvel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 14:26:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:

> HvdHeuvel;2431161 Wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:06:01 +0000, John Gill wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I install SLES and OES on new hardware with a temp server name. Then
>> > migrated the data and trustees from the NSS volume and then did an ID
>> > transfer. User data and right are 100% and everyone can login with

>> no
>> > issues.
>> >
>> > The migration was from SLES11sp3 with OES11sp2 to the same OS, just
>> > different hardware with more NSS disk space. As far as I can

>> remember
>> > the NDS objects were there, but maybe not...
>> >
>> > Regards John

>>
>> I would suggest you to delete the old nssAdmin object, and re-create
>> the nssAdmin object on the new server. See section 29.3.2 here :
>> https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bbveub0.html
>>
>>
>> Then proceed and update eDirectory with the Pool objects again :
>> https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/bqpdcfx.html
>>
>> or in case it is a cluster with shared pools:
>> https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/stor_nss_lx/data/blkkliw.html
>>
>>
>> Thanks Hans

>
> I think when Hans says the "old' nssadmin object, you may need to delete
> both.


Yes sorry if this was not clear.

I mean that you need to check for this kind of name in the new
environment: nssAdmin<servername>.
You will have one such an admin users for every server where you have NSS
running. This admin user will by default always be created in the same OU
as where your server is located, and also should be recreated in that some
OU as well (not perse, but that makes most sense).

In the docu I think it is not listed as such, but when recreating tha dmion
user, you need to put the nssadmin<servername> between single quotes ´ ´
and same goes for specifying the server context !!

If you don´t do this, you may keep seeing -601 or so, so please keep that
in mind

[...]

> Although my experience has been that if nssadmin is hosed, it won't even
> mount the volume.


Well, this user is only used for management tasks, so NSS pools/volume
should be fully accessible for end-users.

You just cannot manage anything on NSS pools/volumes with this working 🙂
NSS pools will not activate if NSDD is down.

After this is done properly, please do not forget to update NDS with pool/
volume informatio as outlined in previous response

>
> --Kevin



Good luck !
Hans
0 Likes
John_Gill
New Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

Hi,

I have tried to re-create the nssAdmin user but still get a 601 error. So, I fired-up the old server (without a LAN connection) and ran NSSMU. I then selected Pool and Volume and wanted to do a NDSupdate and got a warning that the objects exist and would I like to delete them and recreate the objects. At this point I canceled the operation.

So, the objects exist on the old server, but not on the new server.....perhaps they got hi-jacked (or more likely nds-jacked) 😉 along the way....

John (still confused) Gill
0 Likes
HvdHeuvel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:16:01 +0000, John Gill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to re-create the nssAdmin user but still get a 601 error.
> So, I fired-up the old server (without a LAN connection) and ran NSSMU.
> I then selected Pool and Volume and wanted to do a NDSupdate and got a
> warning that the objects exist and would I like to delete them and
> recreate the objects. At this point I canceled the operation.
>
> So, the objects exist on the old server, but not on the new
> server.....perhaps they got hi-jacked (or more likely nds-jacked) 😉
> along the way....
>
> John (still confused) Gill


This is what I have done :

John,

When you run the 'ndsstat' command, you get to see the server context

For one of my lab servers :
--- cut here ---
Server Name: .CN=oes2015ovl.OU=services.OU=rdm.OU=emea.O=lab.T=T-OES2015-
OVL.
--- cut here ---

Now, for this server, the proxy user used for NSS is called
'oes2015ovladmin', and the user is found in the same context as the server.

That is the nssAdmin proxy useryou need to delete in iManager.


In order to recreate the same user you need to do this :
--- cut here ---
oes2015-ovl:~ # nssAdminInstall -a 'admin.lab' -P -o
'oes2015ovladmin.services.rdm.emea.lab'
Password: ************

[1] Instance at /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf: oes2015-
ovl.OU=services.OU=rdm.OU=emea.O=lab.T-OES2015-OVL
Successfully installed nssAdmin.
oes2015-ovl:~ #
--- cut here ---

The <admin>.<context> needs to be put between brackets similar as the
server context

Keep in mind that any special characters such as a '-' in a username would
also need to be escaped for this to work properly.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Hans
0 Likes
John_Gill
New Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

So it was time to hit it with a big hammer.....I ran "nsscon" and the server did a check and said all was good. Next ran "nssAdminInstall" and the object was successfully installed (how did that work). Next into "nssmu" and updated the NDS. In Console1 and iManager the objects have been created. The only issue is that the folders under the sys: and data: volume are not there but maybe eDir needs some time to populate everything.




So much progress has been made....Now at least I can enjoy the week-end. I will provide more feedback on Monday.
Now it's beer time 🙂




John (not so confused) Gill
0 Likes
John_Gill
New Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

So, still no leaf objects under the eDir volumes. So I phoned my Netware/Novell/Groupwise/SuSE guru, Laura Buckley and she gave me some pointers. It seems that ndsd was not reloaded on the server after the "zypper up -t patch" which was run on Friday. So Laura suggested doing a stop and start on ndsd and "Hey presto" everything is up and working and doing what eDir should do. All the objects are in place and the world looks good again.

John (no so confused, but everything is working) Gill :cool::D
0 Likes
HvdHeuvel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: After miggui trying to update Pool and Volume into NDS

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:06:01 +0000, John Gill wrote:

Hi John

> So, still no leaf objects under the eDir volumes. So I phoned my
> Netware/Novell/Groupwise/SuSE guru, Laura Buckley and she gave me some

[...]

You are in good hands I see 🙂
Happy to see everything is working now.

Take care
Hans
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.