Absent Member.

Re: Another "The tree or server could not be found" thread

OK, no it's not.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't see any smoking guns here. Next time the problem happens on a machine, delete everything in the login GUI and just put the server IP address in the Server name field - if that works instantly we do have an SLP (or other name resolution) problem. If not the problem is elsewhere, and we'll need a lan trace of the problem happening, I think.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can confirm that the issue still happens with the everything empty except an IP-address in the server field.

However, creating a network trace will be a challenge...
It's a switched (obviously) network on 3Com switches, they don't seem to support port mirroring.
I have to see if I can find a switch somewhere that has port mirroring, or even a hub...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does the problem happen only at boot time? If not, you can capture the traces from a PC suffering the problem using wireshark.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am going to jump in as I am having the same issue. My environment is a mix
of XP and win 7 64sp1. All Netware 6.5sp8 servers. Clients on XP side are
all 4.91xx. Win7 side ranges from CLN2ir5 to the latest cln3ir4. The DA's
are on different subnets but both in the data center. all clients are hard
set for both DA's and we use the ip address for both DA's. The XP computers
never have an issue with me using the tree name (CCPS). The win7 machines
almost always never work with the name. I gave up fighting it and put the
local server IP address in for the tree to get pass the tree or server not
found issue.

Scope: GLOBAL
DA's: 10.1.1.x
192.168.1.x

"heinkonijn" wrote in message
news:heinkonijn.64ti3b@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

OK, no it's not.

--
heinkonijn
------------------------------------------------------------------------
heinkonijn's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1802
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=472418

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

heinkonijn wrote:

>
> To answer my own question:
> I have found the culprit, it was the Sophos local firewall blocking
> xtsvcmgr.exe from communication.
>
> After creating a rule and setting "Max Retries Boot
> Threshold"=dword:00000078" in the registry the issue was fixed.

There was an issue a while back where Sophos would cause a delay which
meant that we had exactly the issue you are experiencing. As a work
around we ended up preventing the Sophos services from automatically
starting and started them when the desktop was loaded.

We haven't experience it since pre Novell Client 2 SP1 ir9a though.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Interesting.
I will give this a go. Thanks for the info.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does slpinfo /all on the XP and Win7 machines give identical output? I'm guessing not ...

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have been playing with the Sophos client.
When I disable all the Sophos services from starting at boot time it seems to help a little bit.

But not 100% of the time. It seems like because the Sophos services don't have to start the workstation has time to do other stuff earlier (like starting the NC).
It is just the 10-20 second wait between the login box popping up and the services having started. The harddisk of the workstations are very busy for a while after the login box pops up.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Still haven't had time to trace.
But the issue only seems to happen at boot time.
When I get the "tree or server..." error pops up and I log in as a local Windows user I can then login to eDirectory via the red N.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Andrew,

Finally managed to get a wireshark trace.

And I think I found out what is happening (don't know why though).
When it is working I can see the client making a TCP on port 427 to one of the SLPDA servers, then it logs in fine afterwards.

When it isn't working I see that the client makes a multicast request (that doesn't reach the SLPDA servers of course).

So the question is why would it do that after I have told it where my SLPDA servers are and it knows it should use unicast?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hein
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

But you said above that the problem still happens when you supply the server's IP address. SLP is simply not needed or involved in that case, no name resolution is necessary as the client already has the address. Can you take a trace when the problem happens when you supply the IP address?

From your description of the trace, in the second case the client must not have the SLP DA. If you are distributing it via DHCP then the client did not get it this time. Do you perhaps have more than one DHCP server involved, or a multi-level DHCP arrangement? Does the trace cover the client receiving its IP address and other data from DHCp?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.