Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Another "The tree or server could not be found" thread

ataubman;2296582 wrote:
But you said above that the problem still happens when you supply the server's IP address. SLP is simply not needed or involved in that case, no name resolution is necessary as the client already has the address. Can you take a trace when the problem happens when you supply the IP address?

From your description of the trace, in the second case the client must not have the SLP DA. If you are distributing it via DHCP then the client did not get it this time. Do you perhaps have more than one DHCP server involved, or a multi-level DHCP arrangement? Does the trace cover the client receiving its IP address and other data from DHCp?

The workstation has the SLP information statically set, but it is also in DHCP.
The issue also happens when logging into an IP-address, so advanced settings: Tree name > IP-address, Context > context, Server > IP-address.

I am having some issues getting the network trace...
I used ZCM dynamic administrator to start wireshark. But when I try to log in and get the error, then start wireshark, and then log out and back in again it consistently works.
I will try some more this week.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Another "The tree or server could not be found" thread

Just to let everyone know who finds this thread via google.
I have found the issue (took a while though).

It is actually a bug in Windows and it is described here:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/02/12/dhcp-broadcast-flag-handling-in-windows-7.aspx
And there is a bugfix by Microsoft and is described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2459530

The only way to get the fix to work seems to be:
Install V3 of the patch
Reboot workstation
Install V4 of the patch
Reboot workstation.

After that everything seems to be happy again.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.