Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2064 views

Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

I was just wondering if anyone was using the new Legato Networker v7.2
client?

I am about to start testing it and thought there might be others out there
who have started using it.

Is it better to uninstall the old 4.22 version first?

Thanks
Mark

Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

Mark,

We are using it on a lightly used production server. Legato advises to unload
and remove all traces of the 4.22. They also recommend certain patches, which
are detailed in the docs/release notes.

On this particular box (NW6.5SP3), I had trouble getting it to talk to the
server until I applied SP4. Since SP4a has been released, I am thinking about
adding SP4a and the networker client 7.2 to our remaining production servers in
the next week.

ajs

Mark Goatley wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone was using the new Legato Networker v7.2
> client?
>
> I am about to start testing it and thought there might be others out there
> who have started using it.
>
> Is it better to uninstall the old 4.22 version first?
>
> Thanks
> Mark



--
Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator
ajs.NOSPAM@stolaf.edu
-------------------------------------------------------
St. Olaf College 1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Information and Northfield, MN
Instructional Technologies 55057-1097
=======================================================
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

Thanks Tony,

Have you seen any improvement in backup speed?

Regards
Mark



On 10/14/05 2:08 AM, in article 434E5C52.1010308@stolaf.edu, "Tony Skalski"
<ajs@stolaf.edu> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> We are using it on a lightly used production server. Legato advises to unload
> and remove all traces of the 4.22. They also recommend certain patches, which
> are detailed in the docs/release notes.
>
> On this particular box (NW6.5SP3), I had trouble getting it to talk to the
> server until I applied SP4. Since SP4a has been released, I am thinking about
> adding SP4a and the networker client 7.2 to our remaining production servers
> in
> the next week.
>
> ajs
>
> Mark Goatley wrote:
>> I was just wondering if anyone was using the new Legato Networker v7.2
>> client?
>>
>> I am about to start testing it and thought there might be others out there
>> who have started using it.
>>
>> Is it better to uninstall the old 4.22 version first?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark

>


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

Mark Goatley wrote:
> Have you seen any improvement in backup speed?


It seems faster, though I haven't done enough testing/tuning to say for sure.
The sole server on which it is running is an older P3 and I am backing up just
the SYS: volume (networker has always been throughput-challenged with lots of
smaller files).

ajs
--
Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator
ajs.NOSPAM@stolaf.edu
-------------------------------------------------------
St. Olaf College 1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Information and Northfield, MN
Instructional Technologies 55057-1097
=======================================================
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?



On 10/15/05 5:45 AM, in article 434FE09A.1040307@stolaf.edu, "Tony Skalski"
<ajs@stolaf.edu> wrote:

> Mark Goatley wrote:
>> Have you seen any improvement in backup speed?

>
> It seems faster, though I haven't done enough testing/tuning to say for sure.
> The sole server on which it is running is an older P3 and I am backing up just
> the SYS: volume (networker has always been throughput-challenged with lots of
> smaller files).
>
> ajs


(networker has always been throughput-challenged with lots of smaller
files).

You can say that again!!!

We have always had problems with Networker and the large amounts of small
files we have in student profiles.

The backup testing I have done seems to have shown about twice the speed on
some representative data of old student profiles. I'm hoping that that can
be taken across into our production environment 🙂

Have you tried to do a recover via the gui?

When I go into the gui to recover, it lists most directories twice - once in
uppercase and again in lowecase. Have you seen this?

Apart from that it actually looks quite promising - which is something I
never thought I'd say about a Legato Networker on Netware 🙂

Thanks
Mark

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

Mark Goatley wrote:
> The backup testing I have done seems to have shown about twice the speed on
> some representative data of old student profiles. I'm hoping that that can
> be taken across into our production environment 🙂


That's sounds promising.

> Have you tried to do a recover via the gui?
>
> When I go into the gui to recover, it lists most directories twice - once in
> uppercase and again in lowecase. Have you seen this?


Nope and nope.

> Apart from that it actually looks quite promising - which is something I
> never thought I'd say about a Legato Networker on Netware 🙂


Me too. With Novell's migration to Linux I was very surprised to hear that they
were updating the Novell client.

ajs
--
Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator
ajs.NOSPAM@stolaf.edu
-------------------------------------------------------
St. Olaf College 1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Information and Northfield, MN
Instructional Technologies 55057-1097
=======================================================
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Anyone using Legato Networker 7.2 client yet?

I've been playing with the new backup client on a NW6.5/SP4 cluster node.
It took me about 3 days to get it to work. 🙂 Right now I'm seeing speeds
about 15-20 MB/s on one of our file share volumes.

Chad

"Tony Skalski" <ajs@stolaf.edu> wrote in message
news:4353BF22.7030400@stolaf.edu...
> Mark Goatley wrote:
>> The backup testing I have done seems to have shown about twice the speed
>> on
>> some representative data of old student profiles. I'm hoping that that
>> can
>> be taken across into our production environment 🙂

>
> That's sounds promising.
>
>> Have you tried to do a recover via the gui?
>>
>> When I go into the gui to recover, it lists most directories twice - once
>> in
>> uppercase and again in lowecase. Have you seen this?

>
> Nope and nope.
>
>> Apart from that it actually looks quite promising - which is something I
>> never thought I'd say about a Legato Networker on Netware 🙂

>
> Me too. With Novell's migration to Linux I was very surprised to hear that
> they were updating the Novell client.
>
> ajs
> --
> Tony Skalski
> Systems Administrator
> ajs.NOSPAM@stolaf.edu
> -------------------------------------------------------
> St. Olaf College 1510 St. Olaf Avenue
> Information and Northfield, MN
> Instructional Technologies 55057-1097
> =======================================================



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.