Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
manoj_pradhan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Backup without using SMS API!

Hi,

I am using regular FS APIs opendir(), readdir(), stat() to collect items to backup files from NSS volumes and then during backup I am using regular FS APIs open(), read(), etc to read data streams and using z APIs, zGetInfo(), zModiInfo(), zAddTrustee(), zGetTrustee(), etc to read/write Trustee and extended attributes.

My question is, how different will it be as opposed to using SMS APIs for the same above stated operations with respect to

1) performance
2) being able to backup/restore all possible trustee and extended attributes information
3) future support

Thanks,
Manoj
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: Backup without using SMS API!

In the absence of SMS, the zAPIs will be the way to do things for NSS, and since you are removing an layer of abstraction, should be faster. Also, the extended attributes are exposed via zAPI. It also means you can handle compressed streams, creepy apple stuff that can be exposed via AFP. While NSSifying things, you should also look at the modified file list capabilities. That can eliminate the enumeration and reconciliation phase most incremental backup processes require. For example, if you had to dredge through the metadata of a 8 million file file system just to find 2000 modified files.... the MFL is very useful. In fact, if you are looking to do "continuous" backup - which I would be willing to pay for 🙂 so do a good job, please - using feature like this allow for rapid acquisition of the deltas.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Backup without using SMS API!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.