Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1755 views

Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet


Howdy,

I'm trying to do something i used to do ALL the time, but now i can't
remember!!
🙂

I have a newly installed Test Environment:
192.168.1.1 (Generic Linksys router- gateway to internet)
192.168.1.2 (Netware 6.5 server- dhcpsrvr)
192.168.1.100 (Windows 2000 Workstation)

The Windows 2000 Workstation connects to the internet with no problem when
i set the Linksys router to handle the DHCP.

But, when i set the Netware Server to handout DHCP, I am having trouble
accessing the internet from "Windows 2000 workstation".
As a simple test, I tried pinging www.novell.com; but it gives me that
"request time out". (this is a little better because earlier i was only
getting unknown host).
I also get that "request time out" message when i try to pinging the IP
address directly.

Interestingly, i can ping all websites with no problem directly from the
System Console. (so i think its something with how the NW server handles
the client's request)

This should work; i've done it many time before (2 years ago). But now i
am forgetting something.

I think i have something configured incorrectly. i've been been
enabling/disabling NAT, doublechecking my Static Routing
settings(inetcfg), but i still havnt figured it out. Maybe something is
screwed up with my DNS?

Okay, thats enough rambling. I would appreciate any assistance!
Thank you again! >^^<

Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

bruce.wayne@b.w wrote:

>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm trying to do something i used to do ALL the time, but now i can't
> remember!! 🙂
>
> I have a newly installed Test Environment:
> 192.168.1.1 (Generic Linksys router- gateway to internet)
> 192.168.1.2 (Netware 6.5 server- dhcpsrvr)
> 192.168.1.100 (Windows 2000 Workstation)
>
> The Windows 2000 Workstation connects to the internet with no problem
> when i set the Linksys router to handle the DHCP.
>
> But, when i set the Netware Server to handout DHCP, I am having
> trouble accessing the internet from "Windows 2000 workstation". As a
> simple test, I tried pinging www.novell.com; but it gives me that
> "request time out". (this is a little better because earlier i was
> only getting unknown host). I also get that "request time out"
> message when i try to pinging the IP address directly.
>
> Interestingly, i can ping all websites with no problem directly from
> the System Console. (so i think its something with how the NW server
> handles the client's request)
>
> This should work; i've done it many time before (2 years ago). But
> now i am forgetting something.
>
> I think i have something configured incorrectly. i've been been
> enabling/disabling NAT, doublechecking my Static Routing
> settings(inetcfg), but i still havnt figured it out. Maybe something
> is screwed up with my DNS?


What is the default route on the workstations ? If they point to the
netwre server then it sounds like the netware server is set up as a
'end node' and not as a router so it won't forward packets.

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm trying to do something i used to do ALL the time, but now i can't
> > remember!! 🙂
> >
> > I have a newly installed Test Environment:
> > 192.168.1.1 (Generic Linksys router- gateway to internet)
> > 192.168.1.2 (Netware 6.5 server- dhcpsrvr)
> > 192.168.1.100 (Windows 2000 Workstation)
> >
> > The Windows 2000 Workstation connects to the internet with no problem
> > when i set the Linksys router to handle the DHCP.
> >
> > But, when i set the Netware Server to handout DHCP, I am having
> > trouble accessing the internet from "Windows 2000 workstation". As a
> > simple test, I tried pinging www.novell.com; but it gives me that
> > "request time out". (this is a little better because earlier i was
> > only getting unknown host). I also get that "request time out"
> > message when i try to pinging the IP address directly.
> >
> > Interestingly, i can ping all websites with no problem directly from
> > the System Console. (so i think its something with how the NW server
> > handles the client's request)
> >
> > This should work; i've done it many time before (2 years ago). But
> > now i am forgetting something.
> >
> > I think i have something configured incorrectly. i've been been
> > enabling/disabling NAT, doublechecking my Static Routing
> > settings(inetcfg), but i still havnt figured it out. Maybe something
> > is screwed up with my DNS?

>
> What is the default route on the workstations ? If they point to the
> netwre server then it sounds like the netware server is set up as a
> 'end node' and not as a router so it won't forward packets.
>

shouldn't matter in this case. you have to instruct the nw dhcp-server to
give out an ip addres 192.168.1.x ( x!=0,1,2,255 ), mask 255.255.255.0 and
default gateway 192.168.1.1
als it shout advertise 192.168.1.1 as the dns-server


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

PetervdM wrote:


> shouldn't matter in this case. you have to instruct the nw
> dhcp-server to give out an ip addres 192.168.1.x ( x!=0,1,2,255 ),
> mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1
> als it shout advertise 192.168.1.1 as the dns-server


Yep, I agree, but I'm just trying to give the OP a better understanding
of the problem (if it is the problem)


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

the NW server is already handing out IP addresses.

It gave the windows workstation an IP of 192.168.1.100.

I also know this because when i do "ipconfig" from the workstation,
i get:
IP 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.2 (IP of NW Server)

The NW server is acting as the Default Gateway for the workstation.
That's not a problem, right? In fact, i say that is a fairly common setup.
That way you can tell the Linksys Router to only accept internet requests
from the NW server, and thus you prevent employees from trying to access
the internet through other means.


When i run: inetcfg - Protocols - TCP/ip - the first menu choice at the
top is about the router thingy. it is defintely set on Enable, Router.
(Not 'end node').

😞


Edward van der Maas wrote:

> PetervdM wrote:



>> shouldn't matter in this case. you have to instruct the nw
>> dhcp-server to give out an ip addres 192.168.1.x ( x!=0,1,2,255 ),
>> mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1
>> als it shout advertise 192.168.1.1 as the dns-server


> Yep, I agree, but I'm just trying to give the OP a better understanding
> of the problem (if it is the problem)





0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

bruce.wayne@b.w wrote:


> When i run: inetcfg - Protocols - TCP/ip - the first menu choice at
> the top is about the router thingy. it is defintely set on Enable,
> Router. (Not 'end node').


That is odd. You haven't enabled NAT or filters of any of that ?

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

> the NW server is already handing out IP addresses.
>
> It gave the windows workstation an IP of 192.168.1.100.
>
> I also know this because when i do "ipconfig" from the workstation,
> i get:
> IP 192.168.1.100
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.2 (IP of NW Server)
>

the default gateway has to be 192.168.1.1 , the ip of the linksys router!!


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

"PetervdM" <peter.van.de.meerendonk.remove@this.adp.nl> wrote in message
news:eeqHi.2128$Qs3.935@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> the NW server is already handing out IP addresses.
>>
>> It gave the windows workstation an IP of 192.168.1.100.
>>
>> I also know this because when i do "ipconfig" from the workstation,
>> i get:
>> IP 192.168.1.100
>> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.2 (IP of NW Server)
>>

> the default gateway has to be 192.168.1.1 , the ip of the linksys
> router!!


Not if the Netware server is set to 192.168.1.1 as its next hop - that
should work OK. Am I missing something here? In my environment, we
have PUBLIC and PRIVATE nics on the server, but the default gateway for
the w/s' is the NW server, and the server's next hop is the LAN side of
the router.

-S-


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Brain Fart: workstations cant access internet

Steve Freides wrote:


> Not if the Netware server is set to 192.168.1.1 as its next hop -
> that should work OK. Am I missing something here? In my
> environment, we have PUBLIC and PRIVATE nics on the server, but the
> default gateway for the w/s' is the NW server, and the server's next
> hop is the LAN side of the router.


Hold on, you have 2 NICs in your server ? What are the addresses on it ?


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, Recap...


Okay,

Let's recap:
I said:
> the NW server is already handing out IP addresses.
> It gave the windows workstation an IP of 192.168.1.100.
> I also know this because when i do "ipconfig" from the workstation,
> i get:
> IP 192.168.1.100
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway is: 192.168.1.2 (IP of NW Server)



PetervdM wrote:
> "the default gateway has to be 192.168.1.1 , the ip of the linksys
> router!!"


Steve Freides wrote:
> Not if the Netware server is set to 192.168.1.1 as its next hop - that
> should work OK. Am I missing something here? In my environment, we
> have PUBLIC and PRIVATE nics on the server, but the default gateway for
> the w/s' is the NW server, and the server's next hop is the LAN side of
> the router.
> -S-


Now, i say:
Steve, we are in agreement! In the INETCFG-protocols-tcpip, there is a
menu choice called... uhh.. 'static routing', or something like that.
Within this menu, i have a one entry: Next Static Hop is set to
192.168.1.1.
I think we can all agree that this is a requiremnet if we want the
NW-Server to access the internet, correct?

So anyways, that's what i have. And i know that it works because i can
ping external websites (yahoo.com, novell.com) directly from the NW-server.

So, the last step is for the Workstation to be able to access these
websites (with the NW server acting as the workstation's gateway)

Thats where we are.

Edward wrote:
>Hold on, you have 2 NICs in your server ? What are the addresses on it ?


Edward, there was a little confusion. "Steve" said that he had two NICs...
not myself. But it is I who posted this original Post. So everything i
stated in the original post is still true. This NW server Only has 1 NIC:
192.168.1.2.

-
So, what do you think?
And to answer your other question, No, i believe i do not have any filters
turned on.
If you go to inetcfg-protocols-tcpip, scroll all teh way down to the
bottom of the list, you will see that Both 'Filter Support', and 'NAT-(i
forget the exact name)' are both set to "Disable".
By the deualt install, i think they are set that way. Is that okay?

I just got this Crazy thought:
I seem to recall that maybe i had to change some value in a diffrent
location:
Inetcfg-Bindings-(select my NIC Card here)- choose the last option 'Expert
settings'(?) - then choose the last option again 'Expert NAT something'...
I believe this may be something i had to adjust... but i cant remember
for sure. It is currently set to "Dynamic", but maybe this needs to be
changed to "Disabled"?

Im at work right now, so i cant try it. WHat do you guys think?

thanks again as always! >^^<


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Okay, Recap...

bruce.wayne@b.w wrote:


> Edward, there was a little confusion. "Steve" said that he had two
> NICs... not myself. But it is I who posted this original Post. So
> everything i stated in the original post is still true. This NW
> server Only has 1 NIC: 192.168.1.2.


Ah sorry, missed the fact that it wasn't you 🙂


I'd change the default gateway on the workstations to point to the
router. Saves the headaches of getting this fixed.


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.