Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CIFS Configuration Error

Hi,

I'm trying to make one directory absolutely free to access on the network, free even from the need to authenticate - in the same manner as I can make a folder on a Windows XP Home PC free to see. I don't have a problem with granting open, read only, access to this directory as it doesn't contain any sensitive information whatsoever. Indeed, it is actually an entire volume.

It has to be visible in the same way that a Windows XP Home directory would be, because it contains media MP3s, mpg video files that I want a network enabled media player to be able to access. The device is a Freecom Mediaplayer-35 kit, (a UK badged version of the MediaGate MG-35 - http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm ) - which I don't have a spare hard drive for at the moment.

I'm looking at CIFS / AFP configuration on iManager so that I can add the directory - but I'm getting : -

Error: The CIFS configuration information is not stored in eDirectory.

I can't find any TID that covers this error, maybe I'm asking the wrong questions?

Does anyone know what might be going on, and how I might resolve it?

(I upgraded NetWare 6.5 yesterday with the very latest patches to try and overcome the problem - but it hasn't worked)

Thanks/Regards,
Rob
+
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: CIFS Configuration Error

RobAnt wrote:

>I can't find any TID that covers this error, maybe I'm asking the wrong
>questions?

Here it is:

http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&sliceId=SAL_Public&externalId=3361312

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Re: CIFS Configuration Error

mmmm. Thanks for that link, but it isn't very helpful, I'm afraid.

The cifs.cfg file already exists, and it contains

-SERVERNAME 'FLIGHT-W'
-COMMENT ''
-UNICODE OFF
-AUTHENT local
-WORKGROUP 'workgroup'

### The configuration for CIFS was moved to NDS.
### Please do not modify this file, because it will be ignored.
unquote

which isn't the configuration at all.

Oddly enough, I found a setting in ConsoleOne: -

Under the Organisation - clicked on security to reveal the Login Policy in the right hand side
Right click on it and select Properties
Under General/Login Sequences I added from the available login methods to the Selected Login Methods
Windows Native File Access

Once applied, this removed the error message, and I was able to add the volume.

However, I don't know how to use the ConsoleOne tool properly, and the help file is not.

For instance, I made Wintdows Native File Access the 2nd in the list - I don't want to affect normal NDS login.
But at the top you can select the "Defined login Sequences" from a drop down list and alter their security grade and types.

Trouble is the Grades are not selectable, and it simply says : Password, without any visible alternative.

The upshot is that I can get iManager to work properly, but I still can't see the volume on the network - although I can see the server!

I'd be grateful for any help on how to make a volume publicly accessible by any machine, without a Novell Client - essentially like a Windows Share.

Oh, incidentally - I noted that the contents of the cifs.cfg file don't relate to the console command "CIFS INFO", which matches the setup I managed to do in iManager. However, the only change is that the workgroup is MSHOME now, in line with my Windows PCs.

Here's what I'm getting with CIFS INFO

Server - "FLIGHT-W"
Comment - "MAIN SERVER"
Authentication - "LOCAL"
Workgroup - "MSHOME"
Oplocks - Enabled
DFS - Disabled
Unicode - Enabled
Domain Add-on - Disabled
SMB Signatures - Disabled

😕

Thanks,
Rob
+
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.