Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

CIFS Error -1647

Hello,

We have Windows 7 AD domain machines accessing their network drives from a Suse Linux OES2 SP3 server (Fully patched). Drives are setup on a clustered server, at the moment both drives are hosted on the one server. Users are getting intermittent connection issues, looking through the logs there seems to be a lot of :

Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: CODIR: SESNotLoggedIn: Failed to authenticate user: SOMEUSER from 172.26.10.4, nwErr: -1647, cifsErr: 0
Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: SessionSetup : Login Failed -nwLoginError is -1647, cifslogin err 0, dest ip :172.26.10.4
Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed due to password mismatch for user cn=SOMEUSER,ou=DEPT,o=TREE

The users have a password policy that sets the universal password, and if they logout and login a few times then the drives come back, so it can't be a password mismatch error.

Any help ??

Jeff
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the same issue since upgrading to OES11.

Before everything was really smooth - at least regarding
authentication. I have the suspicion, that CIFS is only trying one of
the configured contexts at once and if that fails, everything fails.
What is interesting is that if an authentication succeeds at one PC the
same user's authentication immediately succeeds on any other PC. And as
long as the user remains logged on (via CIFS to this server) from at
least one PC everything works. As soon as the user logs out from all
connections and waits some time (hours to days) he is presented with
the same random logon success as before.
--
W. Prindl

Stonej wrote:

>
>Hello,
>
>We have Windows 7 AD domain machines accessing their network drives
>from a Suse Linux OES2 SP3 server (Fully patched). Drives are setup
>on a clustered server, at the moment both drives are hosted on the one
>server. Users are getting intermittent connection issues, looking
>through the logs there seems to be a lot of :
>
>Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: CODIR: SESNotLoggedIn:
>Failed to authenticate user: SOMEUSER from 172.26.10.4, nwErr: -1647,
>cifsErr: 0
>Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: SessionSetup : Login
>Failed -nwLoginError is -1647, cifslogin err 0, dest ip :172.26.10.4
>Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed
>due to password mismatch for user cn=SOMEUSER,ou=DEPT,o=TREE
>
>The users have a password policy that sets the universal password, and
>if they logout and login a few times then the drives come back, so it
>can't be a password mismatch error.
>
>Any help ??
>
>Jeff

W. Prindl
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is the eDir tree in perfect time and NDS sync? Run ndsrepair -T and -E and post the.log outputs from both here, thanks.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mine is perfectly in sync.

As a test I now added subtree search to the cifs configuration and
interestingly now the error messages are gone - and if there come some
(which are now mostly 625 errors for users, which are tried in the
wrong context) they now show the full context of the failed user as
before not only the username itself.

And till now nobody had a problem connecting to that resource - it
worked seamlessly as before.

The proof for that to be working really will be the Monday after next
weekend, if I then get no complaints for failed access to this resource
and no corresponding error messages in cifs.log I'd say it seems to
work.

But nevertheless it should work in standard (non subtree search) mode,
too.

--
W. Prindl

ataubman wrote:

>
>Is the eDir tree in perfect time and NDS sync? Run ndsrepair -T and -E
>and post the.log outputs from both here, thanks.

W. Prindl
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

ataubman;2177831 wrote:
Is the eDir tree in perfect time and NDS sync? Run ndsrepair -T and -E and post the.log outputs from both here, thanks.

Hello,

All in sync, i did add subtree searching which did fix most of the issues, but im still stuck with this -1647...even more users today..

Feb 28 11:59:19 staff1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: CODIR: SESNotLoggedIn: Failed to authenticate user: WARDF from 172.30.x.x, nwErr: -1647, cifsErr: 0
Feb 28 11:59:19 staff1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: SessionSetup : Login Failed -nwLoginError is -1647, cifslogin err 0, dest ip :172.30.x.x
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would appreciate seeing the dsrepair log files anyway, thanks.

But I can't find any documentation on that error number at all, which leads me to think this is a new problem. I think you'd be best of logging a call with Novell, and submitting the error logs above plus a lan trace of a failing transaction.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Stonej;2177693 wrote:
Hello,

We have Windows 7 AD domain machines accessing their network drives from a Suse Linux OES2 SP3 server (Fully patched). Drives are setup on a clustered server, at the moment both drives are hosted on the one server. Users are getting intermittent connection issues, looking through the logs there seems to be a lot of :

Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: CODIR: SESNotLoggedIn: Failed to authenticate user: SOMEUSER from 172.26.10.4, nwErr: -1647, cifsErr: 0
Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: SessionSetup : Login Failed -nwLoginError is -1647, cifslogin err 0, dest ip :172.26.10.4
Feb 27 08:39:46 SRV1 CIFS[24080]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed due to password mismatch for user cn=SOMEUSER,ou=DEPT,o=TREE

The users have a password policy that sets the universal password, and if they logout and login a few times then the drives come back, so it can't be a password mismatch error.

Any help ??

Jeff

Hi Jeff
i was also plagued with random errors and a log full of 1647 or 625 errors, i found the following link
The Dark Times » OES2 SP3 breaks CIFS on 64-Bit (Error -1660)
which explains there is an issue with nmas loginmethods, after following the hint and restarting ndsd and cifs .. all errors gone in the log
The second change i made, was setting FIRST_WATCHDOG_PACKET 0 in /etc/opt/novell/ncpserv.conf according to TID 7009176 which cured the -625 errors
ndsd + cifs needs to be restarted as well

Dirk
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.