Highlighted
ttucker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CIFS not asking for login credentials from Ubuntu

I have an OES2SP3 server setup with CIFS, and Universal password. This machine does have a replica of edirectory. The setup works from any windows machine, when I try to access the files from the network, I get a login name/password request window, type in any of my users that are on Universal password, and all works.

On Ubuntu, however, I have the workstations automatically logging in with a generic student login, and I try to access the same cifs/smb share, it does NOT ask for a login/password and I get "unable to mount location, failed to mount windows share".

On the server side, the log shows:
Feb 27 09:10:06 rcds-svr2 CIFS[8220]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed due to password mismatch for user , Err :-1642

On further investigation, if I go to the location in ubuntu as follows

smb://username@server/volume

it DOES ask for the password (not login name) and I can access the files.

From the looks of things, it appears it is trying to login with my generic login.

This does not appear to be an ubuntu issue, as I can access other samba shares and a windows server share and it DOES ask for a login/password, just not the cifs shares

Can anyone help me get the login screens to appear?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: CIFS not asking for login credentials from Ubuntu

Ubuntu is most likely caching or assuming the credentials, which might be stored in the local user's credential store. Ensure this is not the case first. The problem with "remember my password" is that it works. You have proven that everything is working fine by explicitly specifying a user ID when connecting to the server - and it works. So its likely that Ubuntu is trying an incorrect password stored in its credential store.

-- Bob
0 Likes
ttucker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The problem I have with that, I can connect to a windows machine with this same ubuntu box, it asks for login and password. I can connect to a debian samba share with the same box, it asks for a login and password. The only time it does NOT ask for a login and password is when I try to connect to the OES CIFS share.

Windows workstations can connect to the share, it asks for a login and password...

And I have tried this with several linux boxes, 2 running mint, one running ubuntu, and one running opensuse. They ALL give the same symptoms..
0 Likes
ssivaramakrishn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is guest login (Anonymous login) enabled on the server? If so, please disable that and try
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.