roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CIFS on OES2015 ISSUE

I installed a new oes2015 server.. everything is working as expected for NCP and AFP connections...I cannot mount the NSS volume via cifs.. I have all the contexts in the search pattern. etc ... Same contexts as my OES11SP2 servers...When I attempt to connect via cifs the cifs log shows the following errors... anyone have any ideas ??

Feb 18 14:56:59 mthome CIFS[5591]: ERROR: CODIR: SESLoggingIn: Failed to authenticate user: admin, client: 10.47.69.26, nwErr: -1639, cifsErr: 0
Feb 18 14:57:13 mthome CIFS[5591]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed for user . NMAS has returned Error:-1639
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: CIFS on OES2015 ISSUE

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:26:01 +0000, roehmdo wrote:

> I installed a new oes2015 server.. everything is working as expected for
> NCP and AFP connections...I cannot mount the NSS volume via cifs.. I
> have all the contexts in the search pattern. etc ... Same contexts as my
> OES11SP2 servers...When I attempt to connect via cifs the cifs log shows
> the following errors... anyone have any ideas ??
>
> Feb 18 14:56:59 mthome CIFS[5591]: ERROR: CODIR: SESLoggingIn: Failed to
> authenticate user: admin, client: 10.47.69.26, nwErr: -1639, cifsErr: 0
> Feb 18 14:57:13 mthome CIFS[5591]: WARNING: AUTH: Authentication failed
> for user . NMAS has returned Error:-1639

0xFFFFF999
NMAS_E_INVALID_OPERATION
Indicates that an NMAS internal error has occurred, caused by the NMAS
protocol getting out of order.

I don't see anything recent on this, but it makes me suspect that you
need to look to see if the correct NMAS methods got installed. Is this a
single server, new tree, or being installed in to an existing tree?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.microfocus.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

new server installed into a existing tree
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 00:46:02 +0000, roehmdo wrote:

> new server installed into a existing tree

Ok, so what are the other servers? OES? NetWare? Windows? Linux without
OES?

--

0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Other servers are Netware, OES11SP2..This was a brand new server install..I played around with it for 3 days trying to get CIFS to work.. finally gave up on this server..(it was a VM)..I delted the server from the tree and am going to attempt to do a fresh install of OES2015 using the integrated DVD.. ill see how it goes.. Thanks..Ill let you know
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

roehmdo;2420477 wrote:
Other servers are Netware, OES11SP2..This was a brand new server install..I played around with it for 3 days trying to get CIFS to work.. finally gave up on this server..(it was a VM)..I delted the server from the tree and am going to attempt to do a fresh install of OES2015 using the integrated DVD.. ill see how it goes.. Thanks..Ill let you know

Did you do a custom install and elect to use the OESCommonProxy user?
Or specify some other account for LUM (CIFS uses LUM)?

I usually add CIFS after the install but that's mainly because (I think it's still a bug, I don't remember if it was fixed in time for OES 2015) where if you have an NMAS UP assigned to the Security object in your tree, the OESCommonProxy user (if you chose that during the install) basically creates the user with a password that may not match your UP, and as such, fails to set the actual password.

As such, LUM or anything using the OESCommonProxy user fails.

I have a routine documented on how to fix things in that situation (royal PITA).

But just a thought.

--Kevin
0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I used the integrated iso to install SLES11SP3 and OES2015... installed edirectory first then went back and installed afp and cifs.. same issue - cannot access the server via cifs.. delted the server again, this time used the integrated iso for sles11 sp3 and oes11sp2 and followed the same procedure. and everything works just fine with oes 11sp2..Not sure what has changed in the CIFS for OES2015 that would not allow me to mount this server via cifs from any client.
any more ideas would be helpful
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

roehmdo;2420644 wrote:
I used the integrated iso to install SLES11SP3 and OES2015... installed edirectory first then went back and installed afp and cifs.. same issue - cannot access the server via cifs.. delted the server again, this time used the integrated iso for sles11 sp3 and oes11sp2 and followed the same procedure. and everything works just fine with oes 11sp2..Not sure what has changed in the CIFS for OES2015 that would not allow me to mount this server via cifs from any client.
any more ideas would be helpful

I don't have any OES 2015 servers here, but on OES2/11, the CIFS stuff was logged in the:
/var/log/messages

So for me, it was easy to tail that log file, and then issue the rcnovell-cifs start
and then I'd see it fail on the NMAS (with the error code that I'd then look up on the knowledgebase) to figure out that the OESCommonProxy user wasn't able to login, and then when I went into iManager, I was able to determine that it had locked the account due to stuffing (or attempting) to stuff in the randomly generated password that violated our UP.

But you didn't answer my question (that I could see) which was:
Did you use the OESCommonProxy user for the install, or did you define a specific proxy account to use?
0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry - I used the common proxy user for both oes11 and oes2015 installs..I plan on setting up a sandbox 2015 server and try it again in the next few days. I have afp loaded as well on both installs... afp as far as I know uses common proxy user as well by default and afp worked on both oes11 and oes2015 no problem..I will just need to troubleshoot why cifs is not happy when I get the sandbox server up..i appreciate all your advice so far
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 21:16:01 +0000, roehmdo wrote:

> Other servers are Netware, OES11SP2..This was a brand new server
> install..I played around with it for 3 days trying to get CIFS to work..

That may be your problem. I think the newer NMAS methods no longer
include NetWare support. I don't recall the details, but I remember
running in to something along these lines before.

--

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

roehmdo;2420810 wrote:
Sorry - I used the common proxy user for both oes11 and oes2015 installs..I plan on setting up a sandbox 2015 server and try it again in the next few days. I have afp loaded as well on both installs... afp as far as I know uses common proxy user as well by default and afp worked on both oes11 and oes2015 no problem..I will just need to troubleshoot why cifs is not happy when I get the sandbox server up..i appreciate all your advice so far

For grins and giggles, you may want to try specifying a "specific" proxy users in the installation process. We chose/went with the Admin account, just to rule out a ton of things (because our Admin account is in a UP policy that never expires the password). You can always "move" the config to use OESCommonProxy (there's documentation on how to do that and you basically run some .sh files).

But it sometimes rules out a bunch of stuff/problems.

And as David just pointed out, there may be some NMAS things involved (Universal Password uses NMAS).

--Kevin
0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks
Hopefully I'll get some time next week to get the server back up to test..
Thanks again
Doug
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.