spsteckly Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't install DNS server or zone?

I believe I have made a mess. I have an existing old Netware server currently running DNS. I have 3 OES11 servers all running DHCP with no issues there. I tried to create a new DNS server on one of the OES servers, and that's where the fun began....

Apparently in the course of setting up the last DHCP server, I wacked the "real" DNS-DHCP locator object (used by both Netware & OES DNS but not dhcp anymore). So now, my DNS domain & hosts don't appear in the java console anymore. The Netware DNS continues to tick along - until it restarts.... So, I attempted to create a DNS server on one of the OES11 servers, which created a new DNS-DHCP object. But creating the new DNS server in Yast, I get an error (error configuring DNS). The rcnovell-named does start, but I am unable to create any servers or zones in the java console.

When I try to create a primary zone, it insists I enter the nameserver host name - but the -only- available zone is RootSrvInfo. When I try to create a server, same issue - only Rootsrvino is available, not my "real" domain.
If I go to the DNS-DHCP object to manually try and enter the zone for DNIP:DNSZones (per TID 7012947), I get NDS error -613 (incorrect value, or value pointing to on object that doesn't exist). I -do- see my domain object (mydomain.net) in iManager, and all 5,000+ hosts there (ddns entries mostly). Is there a way to reconnect this to DNS?

I actually don't mind re-creating my domain - there are only 30 or so hosts I really need. Is there a way to totally start over with DNS? Remove and try and reinstall? At some point in this upgrade process I did have a dns server showing up in the console, but I can't remember what happened to it. Can someone shed some light on either 1) how to create the server or zone in the console, or 2) how to start over without screwing up DHCP or the existing (although unconfigurable now) netware DNS, or 3) how to re-associate my domain in the tree with DNS?

I'll post /var/opt/novell/log/named/named.run below.

tia-
Suzie

19-Jul-2015 18:48:54.728 general: main: notice: starting BIND 9.3.2 -u named
19-Jul-2015 18:48:54.782 general: server: info: found 16 CPUs, using 16 worker threads
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.320 general: dns/db: critical: Failed to load RRs of rootserver zone with error -603
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.320 general: dns/hints: warning: Loading Root data from directory Failed
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.321 general: server: info: loading configuration from '/etc/opt/novell/named/named.conf'
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.490 network: interfacemgr: info: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.501 network: interfacemgr: error: binding TCP socket: address in use
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.501 network: interfacemgr: info: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.2#53
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.501 network: interfacemgr: error: binding TCP socket: address in use
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.501 network: interfacemgr: info: listening on IPv4 interface eth0, 10.30.64.3#53
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.502 network: interfacemgr: error: binding TCP socket: address in use
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.548 general: dns/db: error: Unable to set an attribute[(null)] in eDirectory with error 70
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.548 network: interfacemgr: error: Error occured while updating the IP list of the DNS server object:70
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.549 general: control: notice: couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#953: address in use
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.757 general: dns/db: error: Unable to get Journal Log attribute or SOA sr. no. with error 70
19-Jul-2015 18:48:56.973 general: dns/zone: info: zone 64.30.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: loaded serial 2015071711
19-Jul-2015 18:48:57.202 general: dns/db: error: Unable to get Journal Log attribute or SOA sr. no. with error 70
19-Jul-2015 18:48:57.203 general: dns/zone: info: zone merkel.esc14.net/IN: loaded serial 2015071801
19-Jul-2015 18:48:57.203 general: server: notice: running
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
spsteckly Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't install DNS server or zone?

Update, but still desperate:

Today I attempted to install the DNS server in a separate/different container - ou=dnsdhcp,o=myorg. The install on Yast went ok with no errors. I have the correct objects in DNSDHCP:
DNSDHCP-GROUP
DNS-DHCP (DNIPlocator object)
Rootserverinfo zone

DNS_server is created in its home context of ou=School,o=myorg

The DNS Server does show up in the java console now, but the "DNS Server IP Address" is blank.
The DNSDHCP-GROUP does NOT have the DNS_server in it like it should. I can't add it manually (servers can't be in groups with iManager)

The rcnovell-named start fails with the following in the log:
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.390 general: main: notice: starting BIND 9.3.2 -u named
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.391 general: server: info: found 16 CPUs, using 16 worker threads
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.460 general: dns/db: info: Unable to get configuration from eDirectory failed with error 70'
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.460 general: server: info: DNS Server Object does Not exist
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.460 general: server: critical: loading configuration: (result code text not available)
20-Jul-2015 15:45:22.460 general: server: critical: exiting (due to fatal error)

I think it's because the server isn't in the group? Something didn't get created correctly?
Any ideas on how to fix?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <spsteckly.70aypz@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Spsteckly
wrote:
> I believe I have made a mess.

And that is where we learn the most from.

> I have an existing old Netware server
> currently running DNS. I have 3 OES11 servers all running DHCP with no
> issues there. I tried to create a new DNS server on one of the OES
> servers, and that's where the fun began....

First thing is to make sure that eDir is healthy, that all the servers
are talking, all replicas are in sync, and that there are no stuck
obituaries. On the OES-SLES side you check those with the following
commands:
ndsrepair -T
ndsrepair -E
ndsrepair -C -Ad -A
Don't be afraid to run those regularly as you do things, they are just
checks that don't take long, but they can spot a problem before it is
otherwise obvious. If they show issues, deal with them first. An
individual object not replicating properly would be one explanation for
what you are seeing. Sometimes you will have to compare what you see from
different instances of iManager.

When you followed TID 7012947, how did you enter those entries? Assuming
you are in iManager, you should be selecting them, and if that doesn't
work, check what is already in the different attributes to make sure one
of them isn't corrupted or the object no longer exists but wasn't cleanly
removed.

Another thought is that you might have standard BIND running from when
you tried to install the standard SLES BIND vs the Novell NDS that does
utilize BIND. To test if something else has the port in use:
rcnovell-named stop
netstat -plutn | grep 53

Fully removing the DNS side without touching DHCP is tricky and not the
direction I would attempt.

Apologies for the delay, summer vacations have pulled many of us usual
forum haunters/volunteers away.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
spsteckly Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Andy. We are also not moving very quickly due to summer events here at school 🙂

Yes, the eDir is healthy, and I regularly run repair/chk on my tree. Yes, we do select the entries (as opposed to typing them, which is what I think you're referring to).
The port is ok, and the BIND is ok (Novell DNS). In my desparation, I set up a temporary DNS server on a windows app server to handle requests while I think this through.

BUT - without any intervention on my part, the new DNS server (on OES server) began working.... So I still don't have a clue as to what was going on then.
I can manage it through the Java console, and it seems to work fine. I don't have ddns set up or anything - will work on that later.

I will revisit all this later when the school term settles in, and see if I can get all 3 DHCP servers to update the new DNS.
Thanks for you help--

Suzie
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Suzie,

Just to add something here... I stongly recommend that you ensure that you do not have more than one instance of these objects in your eDir Tree:

DNSDHCP-GROUP
DNS-DHCP (DNIPlocator object)
Rootserverinfo zone

Note... no duplicates in your entire tree. You must only ever have one set of these objects. I got caught out like this once at a customer's site and spent hours trying to troubleshoot their issues.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.