aferris Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1733 views

Can't start new 2018 Cluster

I'm trying to get a two node test cluster going using OES2018 on VMWare 6.5.

When I try and configure NCS with it set to do not start NCS right away, the host panics whenever I do start it via "systemctl start novell-ncs.service". It is fully patched up to today.

Here is the error:

2017-12-21T11:06:10.902692-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 37.787136] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:15.906688-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 42.789194] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:17.728346-08:00 tc10cn01 ndsd[2250]: [Info]InsertVolume: Volume _ADMIN is mounted and added to volume table
2017-12-21T11:06:20.910688-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 47.793194] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:25.914686-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 52.797197] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918687-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801197] CLUSTER-<FATAL>-<6022>: There is NO SBD Partition required by the cluster !!!
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918698-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801197] Please run "sbdutil -c" to create SBD Partition.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918699-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801202] CLUSTER-<NORMAL>-<6103>: SBD.NLM unloaded.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.942797-08:00 tc10cn01 ldncs[4496]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'sbd': Operation not permitted
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943315-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=6
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943456-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Novell Cluster Services(NCS).
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943558-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Unit entered failed state.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943650-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

If I boot the host into rescue mode it sure looks like I have an SBD:

tc10cn01:~ # sbdutil -f
/dev/nss/18clus.sbd
tc10cn01:~ # sbdutil -v

Cluster (SBD) partition on /dev/nss/18clus.sbd.

Signature # HeartBeat State eState Epoch SbdLock Bitmask NSSLIB
SBDS 0 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 1 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 2 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 3 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 4 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 5 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 6 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 7 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 8 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 9 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 10 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 11 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 12 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 13 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 14 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 15 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 16 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 17 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 18 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 19 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 20 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 21 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 22 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 23 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 24 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 25 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 26 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 27 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 28 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 29 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 30 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 31 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255

Log capacity: 0, valid records: 0 (0/0/0/0).

Anyone seen anything like this on 2018?

thanks,
Andrew
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't start new 2018 Cluster

aferris,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com



0 Likes
MartienssenL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't start new 2018 Cluster

aferris;2472344 wrote:
I'm trying to get a two node test cluster going using OES2018 on VMWare 6.5.

When I try and configure NCS with it set to do not start NCS right away, the host panics whenever I do start it via "systemctl start novell-ncs.service". It is fully patched up to today.

Here is the error:

2017-12-21T11:06:10.902692-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 37.787136] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:15.906688-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 42.789194] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:17.728346-08:00 tc10cn01 ndsd[2250]: [Info]InsertVolume: Volume _ADMIN is mounted and added to volume table
2017-12-21T11:06:20.910688-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 47.793194] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:25.914686-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 52.797197] CLUSTER-<INFO>-<6135>: Searching for SBD partition ...
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918687-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801197] CLUSTER-<FATAL>-<6022>: There is NO SBD Partition required by the cluster !!!
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918698-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801197] Please run "sbdutil -c" to create SBD Partition.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.918699-08:00 tc10cn01 kernel: [ 57.801202] CLUSTER-<NORMAL>-<6103>: SBD.NLM unloaded.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.942797-08:00 tc10cn01 ldncs[4496]: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'sbd': Operation not permitted
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943315-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=6
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943456-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Novell Cluster Services(NCS).
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943558-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Unit entered failed state.
2017-12-21T11:06:30.943650-08:00 tc10cn01 systemd[1]: novell-ncs.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

If I boot the host into rescue mode it sure looks like I have an SBD:

tc10cn01:~ # sbdutil -f
/dev/nss/18clus.sbd
tc10cn01:~ # sbdutil -v

Cluster (SBD) partition on /dev/nss/18clus.sbd.

Signature # HeartBeat State eState Epoch SbdLock Bitmask NSSLIB
SBDS 0 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 1 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 2 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 3 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 4 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 5 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 6 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 7 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 8 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 9 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 10 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 11 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 12 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 13 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 14 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 15 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 16 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 17 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 18 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 19 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 20 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 21 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 22 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 23 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 24 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 25 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 26 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 27 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 28 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 29 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 30 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255
SBDS 31 00000001 0 UNLK 00000000 255

Log capacity: 0, valid records: 0 (0/0/0/0).

Anyone seen anything like this on 2018?

thanks,
Andrew



Hello Andrew.

Did you found a solution? We are having same problem. Doesn't matter if machine is on VMware or hardware

greetings
lars
0 Likes
aferris Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't start new 2018 Cluster

MartienssenL;2475067 wrote:
Hello Andrew.

Did you found a solution? We are having same problem. Doesn't matter if machine is on VMware or hardware

greetings
lars


Hi Lars,

No I haven't found a work around yet. I will try again most likely next week. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Andrew
0 Likes
MartienssenL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't start new 2018 Cluster

aferris;2475261 wrote:
Hi Lars,

No I haven't found a work around yet. I will try again most likely next week. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Andrew


Hi

There is a PTF for this error. ncs-kmp-default-2.6.5_k4.4.74_92.38-30.3.1395.5.PTF.1080760.x86_64.rpm

With that fix it seems to work. But we are now encountering LUM problems with cluster nodes.

greetins
lars
0 Likes
aferris Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't start new 2018 Cluster

Hi Lars,

I have seen LUM problems too. Basically LUM is broken out of the box when installing 2018. What I recall fixing it was doing a "ndsrepair -N" to update the servers known to the 2018 box. That seemed to fix my issues but then I got side-tracked by the clustering issue. Have you tried that?

Andrew
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.