LarryResch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot Connect to Server Via Alternate IP Address

When trying to login to an OES11 server using an alternate IP address for the server, we get the "Tree or Server not found" error. However, if I specify the IP address associated as the server's default IP address, we can log in with no problems. Does the Novell Client (for Windows 7) need to be able to resolve the IP address via DNS (the alternate IP address is not in DNS yet) or is that irrelevant?
I am trying to set a default IP address for the clients connection and have the ability to move it to another server in the event I want the users to authenticate to another server.

thanks.
-L
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
John_Gill Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Cannot Connect to Server Via Alternate IP Address

Hey, when using an ip address, dns is not required. A few questions and suggestions. Is the alternate ip address on the same LAN or VLAN? Can you ping the alternate ip address? If the ip addresses are on the same LAN, then it is not a gateway issue. If you can ping both ip addresses, then there maybe a firewall issue. Are both ip addresses set to the same LAN card or to seperate interfaces. Try running a traceroute to each ip address. Post back some answers and I am sure we can help.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 07/05/2013 01:06 PM, LarryResch wrote:
>
> When trying to login to an OES11 server using an alternate IP address
> for the server, we get the "Tree or Server not found" error. However, if

Almost certainly for a legitimate reason... such as a firewall somewhere
or misconfigured network, or maybe application, setting.

> I specify the IP address associated as the server's default IP address,
> we can log in with no problems. Does the Novell Client (for Windows 7)
> need to be able to resolve the IP address via DNS (the alternate IP
> address is not in DNS yet) or is that irrelevant?

Irrelevant. eDir thankfully doesn't care, almost at all, about DNS. DNS
is not really ever used for a connection anyway... it's just a lookup to
find an IP address so in the end the network layer protocol (IP) is, of
course, used for the network connection.

> I am trying to set a default IP address for the clients connection and
> have the ability to move it to another server in the event I want the
> users to authenticate to another server.

Using clustering on the server?

Good luck.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Double check to see if NCP is listening on the secondary IP - I found that to be the problem in my environment!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Further to what I said above....You can add IP addresses in the eDirectory configuration by editing the file /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

thanks for the responses - that was going to be my next question! (Yes I can ping the second IP address) I'll give it a shot tomorrow and hopefully it will work.

-L
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just FYI that being able to ping an IP address doesn't generally mean much except that the workstation has a path to that IP device and that the ICMP (echo) port wasn't blocked - doesn't really tell you what services are listening on that address 8-(

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

laurabuckley;2271261 wrote:
Hi,

Further to what I said above....You can add IP addresses in the eDirectory configuration by editing the file /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf

Cheers,

Yes, that should be it. When having added an IP to the OES after initial OES configuration, that needs to be adjusted in the nds.conf as "it" has been configured to listen on the ip's that were available during install... at least, from what I've been seeing. After editing, it should be enough to restart ndsd... but I tend to do a planned reboot as slp registrations kick in more instantly (instead of the hour it can sometimes take).

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

[SOLVED] Cannot Connect to Server Via Alternate IP Address

I added the server alternate IP address to the nds.conf file, restarted ndsd and can authenticate using the alternate IP Address. Thanks for all the insight and help!

-L
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot Connect to Server Via Alternate IP Addre

Awesome stuff 🙂 Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.