Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Ensign
Ensign

Cannot save xls or xlsx files to Novell share

We still use an old NetWare 6 server (Novell NetWare 6  Server Version 5.60.05)

The problem is we can't save xls or xlsx files to it from Windows 10. The save perfectly worked from Windows XP (and it still does), furthermore we can save for e.g. ods files from the same Excel running on Win10 to the same Novell share. Just not xls. Or xlsx.

If we try to do so, we got the error message says "T:\PROJECT\Spreadsheet1.xlsx cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only."

If a file is already there, it opens and saves as it should, but I cannot save a new file there.

I tried it with a freshly installed Windows 10, with the newest OES Client (SP5 IR1), and several versions of Excel, all the same results. (However I could save xlsx from LibreOffice)

Labels (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

Thank you!

I tried this just now, but it didn't help.

Also: Word does work. So I can save docx and doc and everything else from Word
The problem is only with Excel and only with xls and xlsx files

0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

NWFS or NSS?

By the way, this issue would be valid reason to move to OES 😉

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please log a support ticket if you need further help.

However, as mentioned by oackerma moving to OES is the recommended path.

Let us know what the ticket number is please.

Thanks

Tarik

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Just on a whim...open Windows Explorer.  Do you have the Preview and/or Details panes enabled?  If so, turn them both off.  Does that make a difference?

And as the others have mentioned...OES 2018 is a very nice replacement for that old NetWare server.  And this is coming from someone who really liked NetWare.  🙂

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

NSS

I would like to avoid updating this system, as I have very little expertise in NetWare (I inherited this system from my predecessor, I prefer Linux based solutions), and because this particular machines serves only one legacy system, which will be phased out in a short time, so I don't want to invest in it more than it's really necessary.

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

NSS

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

OES is linux based.  But if that system is going to be phased out shortly, I understand wanting to find the simplest fix.  The reason I mentioned Preview and Details panes is that those can cause file locking issues.  So make sure they are off.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
0 Likes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

There is no way to update the system. Fresh installation of OES 2018 SP2 (based on SLES12 SP5), new NSS volume, restore contents from backup.

I understand your situation perfectly but this is probably more a Win10/MS Office issue not being downward compatible to a 20 year old third-party filesystem. You probably won't get support from either side.

Try to map the network drive as a root mapping, the option is "Check to make folder appear as the top most level" in the OES client context menu.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

As OES is Linux (SUSE) based, it maybe worthwhile giving it a try.

We can help you upgrade but this is completely your call...

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@Lenry wrote:

The problem is we can't save xls or xlsx files to it from Windows 10.

You have provided a few scenarios but they don't pinpoint the issue.

Excel, and perhaps LibreOffice, don't always save files the way you might expect. For example, to mitigate the possibility of corrupting a file while an update is being saved, Excel will:

1. Save a new copy of the file.
  2. Delete the original file.
  3. Rename the new file giving it the name of the original file.

Check trustee tights on the folder. Can the user save the file if you grant RWECMF rights?

You say you can't save xls/xlsx files but I assume you have no problems copying them to your folder from another location?

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.