Highlighted
hschoene Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Citrix XEN, Novell Cluster Services and shared Storage

Does anyone have experience with Citrix XEN and Novell Cluster Services in relation to"shared storage"? Can not share storage in Citrix between 2 or more VMs for the cluster partition. Not a feature.
Any suggestions ? Separate phys. Server with NFS ?

Thanks Heiko
Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Citrix XEN, Novell Cluster Services and shared Storage

hschoene;2266242 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Citrix XEN and Novell Cluster Services in relation to"shared storage"? Can not share storage in Citrix between 2 or more VMs for the cluster partition. Not a feature.
Any suggestions ? Separate phys. Server with NFS ?

Thanks Heiko

This is the only thing I could find:

https://www.citrix.com/ready/en/novell/oes2

Which version of XENserver are you on? The Free one or the paid one? I vaguely recall that if you wanted shared storage with XENserver you had to use the paid version and it only worked on a limited number of devices, but that was a while ago.
0 Likes
hschoene Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi,

we have Citrix-Enterprise-Servers, Vers. 6.1.
I found now that, but it doesn't work: Attach Virtual Disks - Citrix eDocs.

I have open a Thread in a citrix-forum: Citrix Forums : Share Storage between VMs ...

Thank you.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

hschoene;2266423 wrote:
Hi,

we have Citrix-Enterprise-Servers, Vers. 6.1.
I found now that, but it doesn't work: Attach Virtual Disks - Citrix eDocs.

I have open a Thread in a citrix-forum: Citrix Forums : Share Storage between VMs ...

Thank you.

I see the post, and I think they're wrong (either the docs, or what they're telling you). It's clear to me, that the DOCS clearly state you can have RW access.
I see the last person that posted indicated you should use CIFS or NFS to create a RO disk. I'm pretty sure that's wrong and that it should be a RW disk.

What is your storage on?

Meaning:

Do you just have a standalone server with DAS (direct attached storage) running the XENserver?

Or are you attached to some sort of SAN/NAS?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;2266482 wrote:
I see the post, and I think they're wrong (either the docs, or what they're telling you). It's clear to me, that the DOCS clearly state you can have RW access.
I see the last person that posted indicated you should use CIFS or NFS to create a RO disk. I'm pretty sure that's wrong and that it should be a RW disk.

What is your storage on?

Meaning:

Do you just have a standalone server with DAS (direct attached storage) running the XENserver?

Or are you attached to some sort of SAN/NAS?

Shared Storage for small XenServer Pools | Citrix Blogs

That may help. I think I tried using the OpenFiler option a while back. A little odd/hokey. Ideally (as the blog mentions) using a real SAN/NAS (I think you can even do it with iSCSI) is the best approach.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.