syed_17 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Cleaning up eDirectory Tree

We are in the process of cleaning up our eDirectory Tree OFF the servers that are not required in production any more. The tree consist of both Netware and Oes Servers. A number of child partitions need to be merged into root and subsequently deleting the container is required to do. 

All useful suggestions provided best practices to be followed will be highly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cleaning up eDirectory Tree

Hi Syed,

For others reading this thread: See Syed's related post migrating from Netware 6.5 to Oes2018sp1.

I will likely take a back seat to this discussion as there are other Knowledge Partners who have much more eDirectory experience than I do. I invite @lhaeger and @AB / @aburgemeister to offer some suggestions.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cleaning up eDirectory Tree

The key is to keeping the whole tree healthy and catching any issues before they impact users/production or make moving forward really difficult.  The following process is the basic eDir health check that can be run at any time on any/all of your eDir servers.

First make sure your timesync is working and check it frequently as you proceed and fix any issues ASAP before working on the other eDir structural changes.  Time getting off can really mess you up with the changes you will be working on.

on NetWare: load dsrepair, Time synchronization
on OES:  ndsrepair -T

2nd make sure they are all synchronizing, especially from some of the root partition servers.

on NetWare: load dsrepair, Report synchronization status
on OES:  ndsrepair -E

Periodically make sure there are no stuck obituaries left on any of the servers (especially when you first start)

on NetWare:  load dsrepair -a, Advanced Options, Check External References
on OES:  ndsrepair -C -Ad -A

For a more details on these checks, see:
  https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=3564075

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.