Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client 2 SP1 IR3/ Win7-x64/ Can't connect to netware volumes

Can't connect to netware volumes in the Network section in Windows Explorer.
Even if i have a connection to the server and a mapped drives of a volumes of that server, when i go to the network section, Server and click the volume, i get an error message "... refers to a location that is unavailable." Het volume is recognised as a netware volume (right-click shows netware options, like map, salvage, purge.)
BTW: When i use that map option, the drives gets his driveletter and i can see the content.

It looks like there is an issue with ncp or authentication.
It has worked, but believe it or not, i don't have a clou what has changed.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Client 2 SP1 IR3/ Win7-x64/ Can't connect to netware vol

DT1602066;2018577 wrote:
Can't connect to netware volumes in the Network section in Windows Explorer.
Even if i have a connection to the server and a mapped drives of a volumes of that server, when i go to the network section, Server and click the volume, i get an error message "... refers to a location that is unavailable." Het volume is recognised as a netware volume (right-click shows netware options, like map, salvage, purge.)
BTW: When i use that map option, the drives gets his driveletter and i can see the content.

It looks like there is an issue with ncp or authentication.
It has worked, but believe it or not, i don't have a clou what has changed.

This is ONLY happening for the title client/OS, all other users can connect? So through login script drive mappings or using a direct UNC path in windows explorer the data is shown? Just to clarify, this ONLY fails for the above client/OS and in the "my network places" section?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

To be very short, i can only access the volumes by a mapped drive. So not through UNC or "my network places".

Best Regards
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DT1602066;2018626 wrote:
Hello,

To be very short, i can only access the volumes by a mapped drive. So not through UNC or "my network places".

Best Regards

OK.. and is this happening for all clients/users/OS or specifically the one you mentioned? What happens when you try to access the server object or file structure in console 1?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

This is happening only on my PC. It happens with different local user accounts (on my PC). With C1 i can access the volumes.

Best Regards
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From the Client documentation:
Novell Documentation
1.2.1 Novell Client for Windows XP/2003 Features Not Included in the Novell Client for Windows

The following Novell Client for Windows XP/2003 features are not included in the Novell Client for Windows 7:
- [a number of items]
- UNC path handling (NWFilter).

I'm trying to find a way around this at the moment...

:cool:Bronwyn
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I've seen this too. In addition, all the volume names now appear in lowercase next to the UPPERCASE server name.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry for posting on an old thread. This partially explains the issues I've been having, but not completely. Heres what I've seen.

Mapped drives work fine on all Win7 systems, and use NCP.
UNC paths seem to always use NCP on Win7 32 bit clients (which means unc path filter DOES work??)

The issues begin with x64 Win7 clients:

If using an IP address in the unc path, it usually tries to use SMB/CIFS even if that server doesnt have CIFS enabled.

Hostnames in the unc path will sometimes result in NCP, but not always.

It is more consistently using SMB on OES2 Linux servers, where this is more random on Netware servers.

The only way to guarentee connection over NCP is to use a mapped drive via the Novell Client.

If you cannot get to a server, its likely that SMB/CIFS needs to be enabled.

On the positive side, SMB seems a lot faster than NCP, but it leads to a lot of intruder lockouts occuring. Almost every day, after I have accessed a Netware server via unc path that used SMB/CIFS, I will later get an intruder lockout because of the connection that remained open. Somehow authentication fails later on when I'm not even working on that server anymore.

For the average user this isnt a big deal as long as we avoid accessing anything via unc path on a netware server. So maybe the solution is to get rid of netware all together, but there is certainly a bug in the client.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.