Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Client 3.8.4.x crash

Hi!
SLES 10 SP3, OES2 SP3, Windows XP Pro SP3.
Despite client 3.8.4.x seems to more stable from client side than was 3.8.0.x, I see on some Windows XP machines strange crashes to happen on regular basis when client start. It seems to be some gui problem because on background I see sync does work and if several times to restart client ... it does job. But, anyway, it is confusing.
In events I see
------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1334
Date: 28.06.2011
Time: 14:43:37
User: N/A
Computer: RI_09
Description:
An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: d418b072

Process ID: 5156

Exception: System.NullReferenceException

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

StackTrace: at Simias.Sync.InFile.Close(Boolean InFinalizer, Boolean commit)
at Simias.Sync.InFile.Finalize()
------------ with 3.8.4.0
Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Event ID: 5000
Date: 28.06.2011
Time: 14:43:40
Description:
EventType clr20r3, P1 simias.exe, P2 3.8.4.0, P3 4cdd1c95, P4 simiaslib, P5 3.8.4.0, P6 4cdd1c90, P7 3e5, P8 f, P9 system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.
------------ with 3.8.4.1
Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Event ID: 5000
Date: 30.06.2011
Time: 19:01:24
Description:
EventType clr20r3, P1 simias.exe, P2 3.8.4.1, P3 4d6b9194, P4 simiaslib, P5 3.8.4.1, P6 4d6b917c, P7 31, P8 f, P9 system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.
------------
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NovAlf,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi!
Did open a SR 10709339021. Was suggested to try 3.9 beta client. Has anyone tried this?
Alar.
0 Likes

I have removed iFolder from production as it has become way too unstable and Novell is unable to resolve the issue. I'm very hesitant to even suggest iFolder to customers because of the instability. Marvin
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi!
Well, we do use iFolder for years and, truth, 3.x is not so robust product as was/is 2.x. And we have clients who prefer still 2.x (it does run on W7 also). In other hand, I have machines where 3.8.4.x is working for days/weeks wo any issue. And this "server unavailable" problem not there anymore, but, yes, another problem seems to surfaced. Anyway, hope Novell will solve this issue! 😃
With best, Alar.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have had many PC's both XP & windows 7 fixed w/ the 3.8.4.1 client. Having said that I still have an annoying handful of machines at various client sites where SIMIAS crashes A LOT. Generally if you do not acknowledge the crash window, your sync will finish. As soon as you acknowledge the crash you're toast. You must start the client again. Very depressing situation, since this has been going on many many months now. Certainly someone knows what the problem is. I find clients generally like the 3.x product much better because of the sweet features, over the 2.x product. Multiple iFolders and sharing are EPIC. If it would only work consistently.

I'm a Novell fan through and through, but I got to say guys .. sloppy software resolution and shame on you for letting this continue.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi again!
Well, so far must say client 3.9.0.0 haven't crash like I described here with 3.8.4.x. Hope it does not have any other issues, our people is on vacation, we'll see.
Alar.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 03/08/2011 11:06, NovAlf wrote:

> Well, so far must say client 3.9.0.0 haven't crash like I described
> here with 3.8.4.x. Hope it does not have any other issues, our people is
> on vacation, we'll see.

Can I ask where you got iFolder client 3.9.0.0?

As far as I know it's only available as part of OES11 which is currently
in closed beta.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi!
Well, as I wrote, from support they suggested to give a try for this. And when I reasked about reasonability and stability etc. to use (beta) in production they replied that no problem with that, so, I tried. We'll see, because users still on vacation, I have tried it on my own, so far. Try Novell ftp site. 😃
Usually I don't use beta, but in this situation, when my problems is solved ... why not.
Alar.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi!
Got it? I mean 3.9 client? Shouldn't be in restricted area.
Alar.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi

3.9 is still in restricted area. The link that Novell gave to me has been discontinued.
This release should appear in the next "Schedule Maintenance" pack for OES2
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well Hi also use iFolder 3.9 client since early july, and I still have a lack of stabillity.
I still have the same problem that is some client works well, and the new ones failed to connect to the ifolder server.
On the server side, the "mono.bin" proccess runed by the "wwwrun" user is stuck between 95% and 99.9% when I try to connect a new iFolder client to this server

You can follow the bug here :
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=695782
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.