Highlighted
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client login issue on Dell E540

I am seeing a lot of problems with my Dell E540 laptops initial login process. It fails each time stating the Tree or server can't be found. Yet once the end user logs in they can immediately log into the Novell Client without any errors. From what I have seen they are not doing anything special to get logged in.

OES11SP3
Windows 7 & 8.1 with Nclient2 SP4 & (IR1).

I have other clients with no specific changes other then the type of device and wireless/wired network cards.

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Client login issue on Dell E540

Rhuhman,
> I am seeing a lot of problems with my Dell E540 laptops initial login
> process. It fails each time stating the Tree or server can't be found.
> Yet once the end user logs in they can immediately log into the Novell
> Client without any errors. From what I have seen they are not doing
> anything special to get logged in.

If you wait say a minute after booting, does it work then?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It doesn't seem to make any difference. I have even noticed that if I log off and attempt to log back in I will get the same error. I noticed that I have the Intel Wireless utility managing the laptop's wireless. I have selected to have Windows manage that and tried resetting up the SSID and am waiting on a few of the teachers to report back if that helped.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rhuhman,
> It doesn't seem to make any difference. I have even noticed that if I
> log off and attempt to log back in I will get the same error. I noticed
> that I have the Intel Wireless utility managing the laptop's wireless. I
> have selected to have Windows manage that and tried resetting up the
> SSID and am waiting on a few of the teachers to report back if that
> helped.

So, this is a wireless connection?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes. And it only seems to be with this series of laptops. I have a few Lenovo and HP laptops that are not doing the same thing.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rhuhman;2417521 wrote:
It doesn't seem to make any difference. I have even noticed that if I log off and attempt to log back in I will get the same error. I noticed that I have the Intel Wireless utility managing the laptop's wireless. I have selected to have Windows manage that and tried resetting up the SSID and am waiting on a few of the teachers to report back if that helped.

Way back (XP days) when I worked with this we had some HP laptops that we couldn't get wireless to work over 802.1x even if we had Windows to manage WLAN, found out that we needed to completely remove Intel Wireless utility (except the WLAN driver of course) for it to work.

Thomas
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Spent some time working on this. Looks like the Intel software for the wireless driver is what is causing this issue. I was able to remove the software and leave the driver in place by a powershell/WMI script to uninstall it.

Thanks for the tip!

Richard
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rhuhman;2419137 wrote:
Spent some time working on this. Looks like the Intel software for the wireless driver is what is causing this issue. I was able to remove the software and leave the driver in place by a powershell/WMI script to uninstall it.

Thanks for the tip!

Richard

That's great, np!

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.