Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client problem getting "no tree or server found"

I have noticed, and can reproduce, an issue of getting "no tree or server found" if you try to login in repeatedly while unable to reach the Novell servers and then try to login after getting the connection back. After a long wait, I think more then 5 minutes, it will let you log in. What I find weird is that it will get my context with contextless. It just won't log in. And unlike the attempts with no network there is no pause when it gives the "no tree or server found message".

I've only tested this on windows 7 pro 64 bit and using Client 2 SP3 IR3, IR9 and 10. Though i'm sure i've heard of it happening on versions before these too.

So the steps I took to recreate this are as follow

disconnect the network

login to the client twice (it takes a while for it to fail)

connect the network

login to Novell (Fails right away)
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

along the same lines if you login to Novell first and then continue with the experiment below it will let you login when you reconnect. however you can no longer browser to the primary server, just tells you "windows cannot access" the volume. You can browse to other servers though. I've only tried this with Client 2 SP3 IR10.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dist88;2347381 wrote:
along the same lines if you login to Novell first and then continue with the experiment below it will let you login when you reconnect. however you can no longer browser to the primary server, just tells you "windows cannot access" the volume. You can browse to other servers though. I've only tried this with Client 2 SP3 IR10.

shot in the dark, had this recently... check your SLP environment, as well as DNS to make sure the clients can see the machine. Contextless login uses LDAP , while the client uses SLP/DNS etc. Also check the local firewall, if on , turn off and test again and see what the result is. Make sure on the client 2 you have the "server" parameter filled in, the selection process isn't as robust on client2 as it was on the XP client. , esp if the "preferred server" variable in eDir isn't ppoulated
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can't say I have ever seen this in action, but it sure sounds like the Bad Address Cache feature of Novell Client. It seems that nowadays there is no client setting to enable/disable the Bad Address Cache, but maybe reducing the Bad Address Cache Timeout to 1s would do the trick.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 17.02.2015 20:56, Dist88 wrote:
>
> I have noticed, and can reproduce, an issue of getting "no tree or
> server found" if you try to login in repeatedly while unable to reach
> the Novell servers and then try to login after getting the connection
> back.

Working as designed. Lookup "unc path filter".

> After a long wait, I think more then 5 minutes, it will let you
> log in. What I find weird is that it will get my context with
> contextless.

Again, WAD and normal as this will be LDAP, and completely separate from
the client core.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell current lists the minimum timeout as being 30 seconds. It seems like if you set it to less then 30 it will default back to 300, I haven't timed that.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.