Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1711 views

Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

Hi,

we have a problem with a shared volume on a 4 node cluster with NetWare 6.5 SP7.

We have increased the capacity of the SAN volume.
Now with NSSMU it is only visible on that cluster node, where this shared volume resided, when its capacity was increased. We have a error message "Pool XXXX not found. To see a list of pools type NSS /pools" When entering
CLUSTER POOLS
on the console, two of our increased Volumes are shown with an asterisk. We don't know, what this means.

Has anyone an idea?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

I would guess that you added a new device (lun) to the SAN, and it has
not been made visible to all the servers by the SAN setup utility. Also
make sure the new device is flagged Shareable in NSSMU
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

We're also seeing this. The pool for one of our cluster volumes (3 node cluster) is only visible on two via NSSMU. If you execute a cluster pools command you see the pool on the offending cluster node, but it has an asterisk next to the name. It does not have an asterisk on the two working nodes. The device also doesn't show as shareable for clustering when you highlight it in NSSMU on the offending cluster node.

I'm unable to find what that asterisk indicates in the documentation.

Any ideas?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

The asterisk(*) means the local NSS doesn't know anything about the pool.

On Linux, "evms_activate" will likely solve the problem. On Netware, you can try "scan for new devices" and "scan for new partitions".

If the problem persists (after a server reboot), please contact NSS experts (through NTS).

Regards,

Changju


Hiraoglu;1596436 wrote:
Hi,

we have a problem with a shared volume on a 4 node cluster with NetWare 6.5 SP7.

We have increased the capacity of the SAN volume.
Now with NSSMU it is only visible on that cluster node, where this shared volume resided, when its capacity was increased. We have a error message "Pool XXXX not found. To see a list of pools type NSS /pools" When entering
CLUSTER POOLS
on the console, two of our increased Volumes are shown with an asterisk. We don't know, what this means.

Has anyone an idea?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

changju;2036437 wrote:
On Netware, you can try "scan for new devices" and "scan for new partitions".


We're on version 6.5 SP4. I had never heard of "scan for new partitions" and I tried it on the console of the server but that command isn't valid. I did try "scan all luns" and "scan for new devices" without success.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cluster POOLS not visible on some cluster nodes

changju;2036437 wrote:
The asterisk(*) means the local NSS doesn't know anything about the pool.

On Linux, "evms_activate" will likely solve the problem. On Netware, you can try "scan for new devices" and "scan for new partitions".

If the problem persists (after a server reboot), please contact NSS experts (through NTS).

Regards,

Changju


On my system, it's only ONE pool that's causing the problem. Other pools work fine

If I try the:
evms_activate

I get an operation not permitted (but I'm assuming EVMS is working fine since the OTHER clustered NSS pools work fine on this server)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.