Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1288 views

Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

Does anyone have OES 9 sp2 working with NCS? I have had nothing but one
issue after another. If it isn't the clustering that breaks then it is
iManager. Maybe someone has a suggestion? I have opened 2 different calls
to Novell. As soon as one piece is fixed the other is broken with one node
or another. This happens everytime one of the patches to fix another issue
has been installed. They both currently have had the --entire-oes patch.

I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
cluster. However in edirectory it added the node.

I would think that installing a service would be a little bit friendlier
than this.

Sorry....Just really frustrated!

Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe it is time to drop Novell?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

> Does anyone have OES 9 sp2 working with NCS? I have had nothing but one
> issue after another. If it isn't the clustering that breaks then it is
> iManager. Maybe someone has a suggestion? I have opened 2 different calls

Can you provide a little more detail here. What do you mean "clustering
breaks"? Have both nodes joined the cluster? Can you do cluster leaves
and cluster joins? Or is this a cluster resource issue?

> to Novell. As soon as one piece is fixed the other is broken with one node
> or another. This happens everytime one of the patches to fix another issue
> has been installed. They both currently have had the --entire-oes patch.
>
> I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
> The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
> cluster. However in edirectory it added the node.
>
> I would think that installing a service would be a little bit friendlier
> than this.
>
> Sorry....Just really frustrated!

Sorry for your frustration.

>
> Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe it is time to drop Novell?


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
cluster. However in edirectory it added the node as if everything is ok.

On the 2nd node at the command prompt anytime I try to join the cluster I get
Joining....
Now a member of
This node is not a member of a cluster.

Really weird..

On each node I can use sbdutil -f and both come back with
/dev/evms/.nodes/ecluster1.sbd
so it looks like they are booth seeing the sbd.

Node 1 cluster view shows:
cluster ecluster1
This node estaff1 (epoch 0 master node estaff1)
Cluster nodes (estaff1)

Node 2 cluster view shows:
This node not a member of a cluster


Thanks for your suggestions!
tj
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:26:22 +0000, tj wrote:

> I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
> The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
> cluster. However in edirectory it added the node as if everything is ok.
>
> On the 2nd node at the command prompt anytime I try to join the cluster I get
> Joining....
> Now a member of
> This node is not a member of a cluster.
>
> Really weird..
>
> On each node I can use sbdutil -f and both come back with
> /dev/evms/.nodes/ecluster1.sbd
> so it looks like they are booth seeing the sbd.
>
> Node 1 cluster view shows:
> cluster ecluster1
> This node estaff1 (epoch 0 master node estaff1)
> Cluster nodes (estaff1)
>
> Node 2 cluster view shows:
> This node not a member of a cluster
>
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
> tj


Does /var/log/messages show anything ? Can paste the cluster join from
there ? Also you may want to check that ldap server that the cluster is
using in the clstrlib.conf file are both the same and point to a server
with a replica of the ou containing the cluster.

hth
Marc
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

About the ldap server: Wouldn't it be advantageous to have each running
their own ldap services so that you are not dependent on another server for
the clustering to work?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:00:57 +0000, tj wrote:

> About the ldap server: Wouldn't it be advantageous to have each running
> their own ldap services so that you are not dependent on another server
> for the clustering to work?


I usually do use 127.0.0.1 for ldap for that very reason.

What do you see if you run rcnovell-ncs restart?

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp

One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:27:39 +0000, tj wrote:

> Does anyone have OES 9 sp2 working with NCS? I have had nothing but one
> issue after another. If it isn't the clustering that breaks then it is
> iManager. Maybe someone has a suggestion? I have opened 2 different
> calls to Novell. As soon as one piece is fixed the other is broken with
> one node or another. This happens everytime one of the patches to fix
> another issue has been installed. They both currently have had the
> --entire-oes patch.
>
> I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
> The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
> cluster. However in edirectory it added the node.
>
> I would think that installing a service would be a little bit friendlier
> than this.
>
> Sorry....Just really frustrated!
>
> Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe it is time to drop Novell?


Hmm, I can understand your frustration, but NCS does work very well. I am
in the middle of a project that uses a 6 node cluster with 11 clustered
NSS pools and 2 iprint resources. It just works!
You should make sure your servers are completely patched with rug first as
there have been a few really nice updates to NCS lately...

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp

One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:00:57 +0000, tj wrote:

> About the ldap server: Wouldn't it be advantageous to have each running
> their own ldap services so that you are not dependent on another server for
> the clustering to work?


You can set it to use multiple entries ed 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 127.0.0.1
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

> Does anyone have OES 9 sp2 working with NCS? I have had nothing but one
> issue after another. If it isn't the clustering that breaks then it is
> iManager. Maybe someone has a suggestion? I have opened 2 different calls
> to Novell. As soon as one piece is fixed the other is broken with one node
> or another. This happens everytime one of the patches to fix another issue
> has been installed. They both currently have had the --entire-oes patch.
>
> I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
> The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
> cluster. However in edirectory it added the node.
>
> I would think that installing a service would be a little bit friendlier
> than this.
>
> Sorry....Just really frustrated!
>
> Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe it is time to drop Novell?



In my opinion they made a huge mistake putting all the clustering
administration in the kernel. If you do an lsmod the top 4 sized modules
are all novell:

450700 clstrlib
696864 nsslibrary
1075120 nsszlss
1334608 nsscomn

Kernel code should be lightweight and stable, why are these modules so huge?

martin roby
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

Hi,

You mentioned that you have 2 iprint systems clustered on linux. I spent a
day or so on this and was a mare. Do you use any particular source of help
or documentation? The stuff in the standrd docs is not very friendly and I
couldn't find anything much online.



> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:27:39 +0000, tj wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have OES 9 sp2 working with NCS? I have had nothing but one
> > issue after another. If it isn't the clustering that breaks then it is
> > iManager. Maybe someone has a suggestion? I have opened 2 different
> > calls to Novell. As soon as one piece is fixed the other is broken with
> > one node or another. This happens everytime one of the patches to fix
> > another issue has been installed. They both currently have had the
> > --entire-oes patch.
> >
> > I have 2 Nodes, the first is the epoch master and seems to be ok for now.
> > The second node keeps coming back indicating that it is not member of a
> > cluster. However in edirectory it added the node.
> >
> > I would think that installing a service would be a little bit friendlier
> > than this.
> >
> > Sorry....Just really frustrated!
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe it is time to drop Novell?

>
> Hmm, I can understand your frustration, but NCS does work very well. I am
> in the middle of a project that uses a 6 node cluster with 11 clustered
> NSS pools and 2 iprint resources. It just works!
> You should make sure your servers are completely patched with rug first as
> there have been a few really nice updates to NCS lately...
>
> --
> Mark Robinson
> Novell Volunteer SysOp
>
> One by one the penguins steal my sanity...
>


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:49:42 +0000, lee.smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You mentioned that you have 2 iprint systems clustered on linux. I spent a
> day or so on this and was a mare. Do you use any particular source of help
> or documentation? The stuff in the standrd docs is not very friendly and I
> couldn't find anything much online.


Well, it's not exactly easy 🙂

You must make sure that you never try to run more than one iPrint instance
on a node. In this case, I have a 6 node cluster, so the failover for each
instance is just 3 nodes...

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Clustering....does it work? (OES-SP2)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:27:01 +0000, Mark Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:49:42 +0000, lee.smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You mentioned that you have 2 iprint systems clustered on linux. I spent
>> a day or so on this and was a mare. Do you use any particular source of
>> help or documentation? The stuff in the standrd docs is not very
>> friendly and I couldn't find anything much online.

>
> Well, it's not exactly easy 🙂
>
> You must make sure that you never try to run more than one iPrint instance
> on a node. In this case, I have a 6 node cluster, so the failover for each
> instance is just 3 nodes...


Sorry, missed a sentence here!
What issues are you seeing?

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.