Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Connectivity problems to second server in tree

I'm having a bunch of different problems connecting to a second OES 11 server I've added to the tree.

What I've got going here is an OES 11 server that was alone in the context (server1.ou.o) that everything works on. Then I installed a second server into that same context (server2.ou.o). As server1 continues to work fine, mapping nss and ncp volumes in the login script and being able to open the welcome page, iManager, iMonitor, and iFolder Admin pages, I'm having all kinds of problems with server2.

In XP I can map ncp volumes in the login script and initially open web pages, connectivity goes away and I can't open the drives in explorer or get the welcome page. It prompts me for authentication, but my username and PW don't work. I do have admin rights. I can see server2 but I'm unable to browse it under network in explorer.

In win7, I can't map drives in the login script, but sometimes can map them using the red N map utility. They also become unbrowsable. I can't get the welcome page to open in a browser. What's more, it seems to redirect to port 8080.

Incidently. Vibe is loaded on server2 and I can't get a login page for that on port 8443. All the appropriate ports are open on the firewall but it doesn't matter whether the firewall is started or stopped.

I don't use dns or dhcp for the servers, I only have dns servers specified for internet access. My IP's are static and I resolve server names with host files.

In iMonitor the replicas look fine, with the naster on server1 and a R/W on server2.

What am I missing here?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

My first guess would have been the firewall, but how about we review
network settings as a start. On the servers, both of them, run the
following commands and post the output. Leave your firewall up; it should
always be on anyway and these commands will show how things are properly
setup if it is "running':

Code:
--------------------
ip addr
ip route
ip -s link
/usr/bin/iptables -nvL
--------------------

Good luck.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When in doubt, I always put the servers in their /etc/hosts file. You will probably need to configure SLP sooner or later as well, but the /etc/hosts file will solve much of the problems, IMHO. Easy to try and relatively harmless as well. Oooo...a win-win. ^_^

--El

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I rechecked the hosts files and everything is fine there. I has SLP configured with server1 as the DA and server2 pointing to it in slp.conf. I set up server2 as its own DA and I still have issues. which is basically loss of connectivity. I'll start a large copy from server1 to server2 in xp (which seems to be working better than Win7) and it bombs out saying the network resource is no longer available.

I really don't think SLP is the issue, since I've always been able to see the servers in explorer, and browse to them in the novell client etc. It's browsing the volumes, and staying connected to them that seems to be the problem.

It appears that if I restart nds on server2, I can restart the copy without a reboot of xp.

I'm beginning to wonder about my replica configuration. After further exploration in iMonitor, that each server has a Master Replica. Shouldn't I set up a Master and a R/W on both servers? If so, how? I'm an old Netware guy going back to the days of 2.2. I miss the old menu driven stuff!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mattlong1;2280314 wrote:
I rechecked the hosts files and everything is fine there. I has SLP configured with server1 as the DA and server2 pointing to it in slp.conf. I set up server2 as its own DA and I still have issues. which is basically loss of connectivity. I'll start a large copy from server1 to server2 in xp (which seems to be working better than Win7) and it bombs out saying the network resource is no longer available.

I really don't think SLP is the issue, since I've always been able to see the servers in explorer, and browse to them in the novell client etc. It's browsing the volumes, and staying connected to them that seems to be the problem.

It appears that if I restart nds on server2, I can restart the copy without a reboot of xp.

I'm beginning to wonder about my replica configuration. After further exploration in iMonitor, that each server has a Master Replica. Shouldn't I set up a Master and a R/W on both servers? If so, how? I'm an old Netware guy going back to the days of 2.2. I miss the old menu driven stuff!

Incidently, I don't have to restart nds, the connection comes back after a couple of minutes.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ab;2280298 wrote:
My first guess would have been the firewall, but how about we review
network settings as a start. On the servers, both of them, run the
following commands and post the output. Leave your firewall up; it should
always be on anyway and these commands will show how things are properly
setup if it is "running':

Code:
--------------------
ip addr
ip route
ip -s link
/usr/bin/iptables -nvL
--------------------

Good luck.

O.K. This is what I got:

ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
link/ether d4:3d:7e:be:ff:41 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.12/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
inet 192.168.1.13/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global secondary eth0:vibemail
inet6 fe80::d63d:7eff:febe:ff41/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

ip route
default via 192.168.1.11 dev eth0
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.12

ip -s link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
RX: bytes packets errors dropped overrun mcast
1133498702 2041459 0 0 0 0
TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns
1133498702 2041459 0 0 0 0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
link/ether d4:3d:7e:be:ff:41 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
RX: bytes packets errors dropped overrun mcast
2835829066 35343037 0 7 0 0
TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns
544512899 16323221 0 0 0 0

/usr/bin/iptables -nvL
bash: /usr/bin/iptables: No such file or directory

I did these on server2 which is the problem server. I ran the iptables command on server1 and got the same thing, No such file.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Sorry... should be /usr/sbin/iptables, not /usr/bin/iptables ... oops.

It'd be neat to see all of these commands from both servers. Part of the
reason may help compare network settings; for example, why does this
server have two IP addresses. Should it? Also, why does it have an
aliases network adapter for 'vibemail' with only an IPv6 address? Are you
using IPv6 at all? OES does not support it so it may be good to go into
Yast under the network card settings and disable it, then reboot (to apply
the setting). Before doing much more I would answer these questions and
disable IPv6 since those can affect things as you've described.

Good luck.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mattlong1;2280314 wrote:

Say what? How did that come to be? If they are in the same tree, this can't really happen without manual intervention ... are you sure you did't accidentally put the second server into its own tree? What does ndsrepair -E show on each server?

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I stand corrected! I was looking at it wrong. It looks the way I'm used to seeing the type of config, server1 is master and server2 is R/W.

What's more, this was never a server problem. The light bulb went off when I got an error on my Netflix account on my BluRay player. It basically said that the connection to their server was broken because it had received unrecognized data. I got out an old spare switch and hooked it up, mapped drives to both servers and started a huge copy. Worked like a charm.

The problem all along was a crappy little TP-Link Gigabit switch garbling data. The only thing that threw me was, until the Netflix thing, it seemed to be limited to server2.

Thanks for everyone's help!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.