Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RPummel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Consolidate OES 11.2 DHCP servers

I need to decommission an OES 11.2 server, and one of its current duties is DHCP. I want to consolidate the DHCP onto an existing OES 11.2 DHCP server, but I cannot find any specific documentation on how to do this.

The closest documentation I can find is in the OES 11 SP2 Migration Tool Administration Guide. However, in the place where it talks about migrating servers in the same tree, it includes a Transfer ID as part of the process. I am not going to do a Transfer ID, as I am consolidating services onto an existing server, not migrating the identity of an old server to new hardware.

So, can anybody tell me the steps I need to follow? Do I simply leave off the Transfer ID part? Below, I will paste in the steps from the documentation mentioned above:

Migrating Servers within the Same eDirectory Tree
1. Launch Java Console.
2. Select the service container object that you want to migrate to the target DHCP server.
3. From the Default DHCP Server list in the General Tab, select the DHCP server object of the target machine.
4. Click Save.
5. Migrate the DHCP leases from OES 2 SPx to OES 11. To migrate the DHCP leases, copy the/var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases file from the source OES 2 server to the corresponding location in the OES 11 server.
6. Perform Transfer ID. For more information, see Section IV, Transfer ID Migration.
7. After this migration, proceed with performing the service-specific proxy migration. For more information, see Migrating Proxy Users to OES 11 SP2.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
RPummel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Consolidate OES 11.2 DHCP servers

Just to clarify my original post: I do realize that if I follow the steps and stop at step 5, I cannot actually copy the entire dhcpd.leases file over and overwrite the one on the destination server. Doing so would overwrite the existing leases on the destination server. So, I will need to copy the contents of the dhcpd.leases file and append it to the end of the file on the destination server.

My original question remains: Are steps 1 through 5 all I need to do (incorporating my clarification, above)?
0 Likes
RPummel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So, just in case someone is interested, I figured it out on my own. Here is how I did it:
1. Stop the DHCP service on both the source and destination DHCP servers.
2. Make a copy of /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases on the source server, rename the copy, and then copy it to the destination server.
3. Open the renamed file on the destination server and copy the contents into the file /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases (after first making a backup, of course). In doing this, be careful not to copy the header and the line near the bottom of the file that begins with "server-duid".
4. Launch Java DNS/DHCP Console.
5. Select the service container object that you want to migrate to the target DHCP server.
6. From the Default DHCP Server list in the General Tab, select the DHCP server object of the target machine.
7. Click Save.
8. Start the DHCP service on the destination server.
9. I had to add IP helper statements (ip helper-address) to the appropriate VLANs on some of my Cisco switches in order to point clients to the new DHCP server, which is physically remote from the clients.

All is working great now.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 17/06/2015 23:06, RPummel wrote:

> So, just in case someone is interested, I figured it out on my own. Here
> is how I did it:
> 1. Stop the DHCP service on both the source and destination DHCP
> servers.
> 2. Make a copy of /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases on the source server,
> rename the copy, and then copy it to the destination server.
> 3. Open the renamed file on the destination server and copy the contents
> into the file /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases (after first making a
> backup, of course). In doing this, be careful not to copy the header and
> the line near the bottom of the file that begins with "server-duid".
> 4. Launch Java DNS/DHCP Console.
> 5. Select the service container object that you want to migrate to the
> target DHCP server.
> 6. From the Default DHCP Server list in the General Tab, select the DHCP
> server object of the target machine.
> 7. Click Save.
> 8. Start the DHCP service on the destination server.
> 9. I had to add IP helper statements (ip helper-address) to the
> appropriate VLANs on some of my Cisco switches in order to point clients
> to the new DHCP server, which is physically remote from the clients.
>
> All is working great now.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for taking the time to report back.
--
Simon
Novell/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.