Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1995 views

Corrupted files on traditional volume

We have a traditional volume on Netware 6.0 SP5 that hosts user directories
which get mapped to a drive as part of the login script. Typically, users
can only see the files in their own user directory.

We recently had a user report that many of the JPG files on her user
directory were corrupt. They have the same size as the original but if I
open them in a hex editor they contain nothing but null characters (zeros).

We had another user with a directory on the same volume have a similar
problem, but with a variety of file types becoming corrupted.

In both cases, the files originated on their hard drives and they copied
them over to their Netware user directory. Since our users synchronize their
"My Documents" folders with their user directory, there's some question
about where the corruption originated.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have. TIA!


Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

Do you know whether they were corrupt as soon as they arrived on the NW
volume, or became corrupt at some later point?
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

I don't know. It's possible they were corrupt before they were copied to the
NW server. I'm just pursuing all possibilities in the event it's something
network/server related.

"Andrew C Taubman" <ataubman.RemoveThisToMailMe@novell.AndThis.com> wrote in
message news:zOwKe.2685$RK5.424@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Do you know whether they were corrupt as soon as they arrived on the NW
> volume, or became corrupt at some later point?
> --
> Andrew C Taubman
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
> http://support.novell.com/forums
> (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
> Opinions expressed above are not
> necessarily those of Novell Inc.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

Out of curiosity, I've noticed that Netware seems to allocate the space for
a file before the is even copied over. Could these files with chr(0)'s in
them be file copies that never made it?

Anyone have any idea how that works?


"David Boyer" <nospam@nospan.net> wrote in message
news:dSsKe.2494$RK5.392@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> We have a traditional volume on Netware 6.0 SP5 that hosts user
> directories which get mapped to a drive as part of the login script.
> Typically, users can only see the files in their own user directory.
>
> We recently had a user report that many of the JPG files on her user
> directory were corrupt. They have the same size as the original but if I
> open them in a hex editor they contain nothing but null characters
> (zeros).
>
> We had another user with a directory on the same volume have a similar
> problem, but with a variety of file types becoming corrupted.
>
> In both cases, the files originated on their hard drives and they copied
> them over to their Netware user directory. Since our users synchronize
> their "My Documents" folders with their user directory, there's some
> question about where the corruption originated.
>
> I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have. TIA!
>



0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

David Boyer:

> Could these files with chr(0)'s in
> them be file copies that never made it?
>


do you have user space restrictions set? IIRC, this can happen when a
user runs out of space, but I don't recall the exact circumstances that
will cause it

Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

We do have user space limits set. I'll check to see if they've hit their
limit.

Is there any documentation you know of that describes this behavior under
these circumstances? I'm just surprised that the users aren't getting any
kind of error notification when copying these files indicating they're out
of space.


"Joseph Moore [SysOp]" <joem@*spam*is*evil*fdisk-it.com> wrote in message
news:VA.00001913.000dea09@hostname.not.set.up...
> David Boyer:
>
>> Could these files with chr(0)'s in
>> them be file copies that never made it?
>>

>
> do you have user space restrictions set? IIRC, this can happen when a
> user runs out of space, but I don't recall the exact circumstances that
> will cause it
>
> Joe Moore
> Novell Support Forums SysOp
> http://just.fdisk-it.com
> http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
> http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
> http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html
>
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Corrupted files on traditional volume

David Boyer:

> Is there any documentation you know of that describes this behavior under
> these circumstances?
>


there probably is, but I can't find it this morning 😞

Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.