Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating two separate subnets on one DHCP Server

Our Network has gotten to the point that one subnet is no longer going to cut it and we need to segment traffic. I already have a class B 172..x.x.x doling out ip's. However, I need to add 500 devices that are on a separate subnet. I was looking to make it 192.168.x.x using a 255.255.240.0 Can I configure one DHCP to dole ip's out to entirely different subnet classes from one OES server? I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Any guidance or documentation you could send my way would be appreciated.

Joshua
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joshua,

I don't know how your network is actually configure but it look like your oes server is actually inside the same network as your client. This mean you have a flat network without any routing.

Can you explain what you want to do with your client on the 192.16.8.x.x network ?

In case you have a router or firewall between your server and you new client you can use an dhcp-relay or ip-helper.

In case you are using cisco router http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/12-4t/dhcp-12-4t-book/config-dhcp-relay-agent.html#GUID-154A7C7F-1126-474F-926D-7CCD8B73FF1C

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joshua,

I don't know how your network is actually configured but it looks like your oes server is actually inside the same network as your clients. This mean you have a flat network without any routing? Or is your network divided in multiple sub networks?

Are you using the a mask of 255.255.255.0 for your class B network. A class B itself with a mask of 255.255.0.0 should allow 65534 ip.

Can you explain what you want to do with your clients on the 192.168.x.x network ?

It is not recommended to merge two class c networks (or subnet) using a subnet mask of 255.5255.240.0. Networks in 10.x.x.x are for private use also. And it is a class A, so plenty of room there. For 500 clients, you need a mask of /23 (or 255.255.254.0).

In case you have a router or firewall between your server and your new clients, you can use a dhcp-relay or ip-helper.

In case you are using cisco router http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/12-4t/dhcp-12-4t-book/config-dhcp-relay-agent.html#GUID-154A7C7F-1126-474F-926D-7CCD8B73FF1C

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.