Highlighted
nbiggs112 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Customizing default user template

I've got Kanaka working wonderfully with eDirectory on our network, but I'd love to do some customization of the default user template for new accounts. Since we're just starting to implement Kanaka, most users don't have the required OS X folders in their home directories. However, when a user logs in, Kanaka copies the folders to their networked home directories (i.e. Desktop, Documents, Library, etc.).

Two problems with this.
1. Any changes to the default files in the Library folder in our users' networked home directories don't stick. This includes changes to the dock, keychains, remembered servers, etc. It's almost as if Kanaka copies the default preferences files back to the Library folder in the network home directory on every login, overwriting any changes that were made. In particular, some files in the ~/Library/Preferences directory seem to be overwritten regularly.
(It doesn't seem like the whole folder is overwritten, because any additional files or folders in the ~/Library folder will stay. However, the contents of the default Preferences files are consistently overwritten.)
2. I've made changes to the OS X default user template in /System/Library/User Template/ so that new local users will have the "official" settings, including corporate background, preset dock, etc. However, as I stated above, Kanaka seems to pull all these files from somewhere else. I'd love to edit them to make things a bit more consistent for users, but I can't seem to find anything about where they might be located in the Documentation.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Customizing default user template

nbiggs112 wrote:

> I've got Kanaka working wonderfully with eDirectory on our network, but
> I'd love to do some customization of the default user template for new
> accounts. Since we're just starting to implement Kanaka, most users
> don't have the required OS X folders in their home directories. However,
> when a user logs in, Kanaka copies the folders to their networked home
> directories (i.e. Desktop, Documents, Library, etc.).

Which version of Kanaka is your server running?
Which version(s) of OS X are your Mac clients running?
Are Kanaka clients configured to "Get all MCX Settings from Kanaka"?
Is Kanaka configured to "Create mobile account when user logs in to network
account"?

> Two problems with this.
> 1. Any changes to the default files in the Library folder in our users'
> networked home directories don't stick. This includes changes to the
> dock, keychains, remembered servers, etc. It's almost as if Kanaka
> copies the default preferences files back to the Library folder in the
> network home directory on every login, overwriting any changes that were
> made. In particular, some files in the ~/Library/Preferences directory
> seem to be overwritten regularly.
> (It doesn't seem like the whole folder is overwritten, because any
> additional files or folders in the ~/Library folder will stay. However,
> the contents of the default Preferences files are consistently
> overwritten.)
> 2. I've made changes to the OS X default user template in
> /System/Library/User Template/ so that new local users will have the
> "official" settings, including corporate background, preset dock, etc.
> However, as I stated above, Kanaka seems to pull all these files from
> somewhere else. I'd love to edit them to make things a bit more
> consistent for users, but I can't seem to find anything about where they
> might be located in the Documentation.

Please clarify which folder you're changing the default user template in -
/System/Library/User Template/ or /System/Library/User
Template/English.lproj/ ?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
nbiggs112 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply, Simon,

I'm running version 2.7.0.52.
Clients are all 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
Clients are configured to get MCX settings from Kanaka (I'd like to avoid setting up a OS X server with OpenDirectory if I can...)
Kanaka is not configured to create the mobile account. We have the users' personal network shares mounting as their home directories.

I've changed the user template in the English.lproj folder, which seemed to work for local accounts. I'm not exactly clear on what the distinction is, other than that the contents of /System/Library/User Template/ when I'm logged in as root seem to contain English.lproj and templates for other languages. Logged in as any other user, /System/Library/User Template/ seems to just contain a user template.

I appreciate your expertise.
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

The contents of /System/Library/User Template are divided into localisations. The English.lproj file is where you place any item you want added to English localised versions of Mac OS X. Anything in the /System/Library/User Template folder may not be applied to new user profiles when they're created, so always put them in the appropriate localised version of the user profile. You may also need to place things into the Non_localized folder as well, depending on what it is.
0 Likes
nbiggs112 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That clarifies that question at least. Non-root users must just be able to see the template for their specific locality.

However, there's still the question of why the English.lproj/Non-localized template isn't being used for network logins, and where the template that is being used is coming from.

Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
CarlW
New Member.

A little late in replying - but it might be worth checking out if you have set Kanaka up to create mobile user profiles, and if there is any synchronisation happening there. I have tested (albeit quickly) a number of profile changes I make to the /System/Library/User\ Template/Non_localized/ folders, and they seem to stick. I have Kanaka set up to create a mobile user profile, but with no synchronisation whatsoever. It seems to keep all the settings I've tested (Dock settings, DidSeeCloudSetup for skipping the iCloud OOBE).

I also have all MCX settings coming from Kanaka.
0 Likes
nbiggs112 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. This solution is working great.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.