Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
rjneilly Contributor.
Contributor.

DFS, CIFS/SMB and Hidden Volumes

Hi,

Looking for a sanity check, again 😉

I would like the following to work (but it isn't) :
0. Assume an OES11sp1 server with NSS, DFS and CIFS services installed and running.
1. Create two NSS volumes, let's call them JuncSrc and JuncTrgt.
2. Create a junction on JuncSrc/Junction that points to the root of volume JuncTrgt.
3. Create an export in iManager for JuncSrc with a name of HomeVol

Okay at this point a Windows client will see in the Windows Explorer:
\\servername\JuncSrc
\\servername\JuncTrgt
\\servername\HomeVol

And if one were to browse to \\servername\HomeVol you would see a directory called Junction and you would be able to follow it to the target volume \\servername\JuncTrgt.

Now is where I want to get "tricky" - and fail... I want to NOT export the volumes JuncSrc and JuncTrgt, just the HomeVol export name and YET still be able to follow the junction from JuncSrc to JuncTrgt. Thus I would have the CIFS server ONLY export \\servername\HomeVol.

I can, and do, remove the unwanted exports with "novcifs -srn JuncSrc" and "novcifs -srn JuncTrgt". That works. And I can still access the "fake" (virtual?) share named HomeVol. BUT I cannot at this point access the path \\servername\HomeVol\Junction. The error on the client is that the network path is inaccessible and the error on the OES CIFS service is that the "Tconx to (JuncTrgt) error No valid mount point".

I really don't want a bunch of (junctions to) shares showing up in folks network browsers which would only confuse them.

Is this DFS/CIFS thing working as designed? I was really hoping that I would be able to use DFS to hide the underlying volume structure from SMB/CIFS clients (OSX, Win7).

Thanks,

Ron
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
rjneilly Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: DFS, CIFS/SMB and Hidden Volumes

Hi,

I found a fix/workaround. I appended a $ to the end of the volume name in NSS. Thus the cifs server exports it with a $. Thus the cifs clients ignore it when it comes to listing it in places like "Windows Explorer" and "NetWork Neighborhood" but they can still follow the junctions that point to the volume. So what I have now is:
NSS Volume name : JuncSrc
Exported as : \\servername\JuncSrc

NSS Volume name : JuncTrgt$
Exported as : \\servername\JuncTrgt$

Create a junction on JuncSrc called \Junction that points to JuncTrgt$.

Users can see \\servername\JuncSrc,
Users cannot see \\servername\JuncTrgt$,
Users can follow/open \\servername\JuncSrc\Junction

Exactly what I want. Yay!

Cheers,

Ron
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DFS, CIFS/SMB and Hidden Volumes

On 09/10/2013 22:26, rjneilly wrote:

> I found a fix/workaround. I appended a $ to the end of the volume name
> in NSS. Thus the cifs server exports it with a $. Thus the cifs clients
> ignore it when it comes to listing it in places like "Windows Explorer"
> and "NetWork Neighborhood" but they can still follow the junctions that
> point to the volume. So what I have now is:
> NSS Volume name : JuncSrc
> Exported as : \\servername\JuncSrc
>
> NSS Volume name : JuncTrgt$
> Exported as : \\servername\JuncTrgt$
>
> Create a junction on JuncSrc called \Junction that points to JuncTrgt$.
>
> Users can see \\servername\JuncSrc,
> Users cannot see \\servername\JuncTrgt$,
> Users can follow/open \\servername\JuncSrc\Junction
>
> Exactly what I want. Yay!

Nice find! Thanks for taking the time to report back.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.