Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DFS Junction without OES Client

Hello,

I'm trying to sort out what I assume I'm doing wrong. We're attempting to expand into the wild world of DFS Junctions. All file servers are OES11SP2.

We have ServerA acting as DFS root, currently it has a shared folder, SHARED with two subfolders, LocationA and LocationB. LocationA is configured as a DFS junction pointing to ServerB\DestinationA.

Using Windows with the OES client installed, users can map \\ServerA\SHARED and follow the junction down to folders below DestinationA.

Using Linux or MacOSX and no OES client, users can map \\ServerA\SHARED, but there's nothing inside of the LocationA folder. Using the smbutils command on MacOSX indicates that ServerA is not presenting the referral to ServerB.
Using Linux or MacOSX and no OES client, users can map \\ServerB\DestinationA and see everything they should see and it all functions properly.

I haven't tried using windows without the OES client installed (We don't really keep such a thing around).. but I have to imagine it'll behave exactly as Linux and MacOSX does.

Any thoughts on things we may have missed in the configuration?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
ssivaramakrishn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DFS Junction without OES Client

Hi,

As you might be aware, Windows with the OES client installed will use NCP as the protocol for accessing the OES server. Linux or Mac OSX or Windows without the OES client installed will use CIFS/SMB as the protocol for accessing the OES server.

As of today there is no support for Linux clients to access DFS junctions using Novell CIFS. Hence, you were seeing that issue from Linux clients perspective.

However support for Mac OSX to access DFS junctions using Novell CIFS is indeed available and it should work for you. Few extra configuration steps are needed specifically for DFS related things to work with MAC client. Details of these steps and other related information is already available in the "Troubleshooting CIFS" section of OES11 SP2 CIFS admin guide:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/file_cifs_lx/data/b1729835.html

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/file_cifs_lx/data/bsutdm4.html#b17qbot0

Let us know if these configuration changes helped in resolving the issue or not from MAC clients perspective.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DFS Junction without OES Client

ssivaramakrishna;2394041 wrote:
Hi,

As you might be aware, Windows with the OES client installed will use NCP as the protocol for accessing the OES server. Linux or Mac OSX or Windows without the OES client installed will use CIFS/SMB as the protocol for accessing the OES server.

As of today there is no support for Linux clients to access DFS junctions using Novell CIFS. Hence, you were seeing that issue from Linux clients perspective.

However support for Mac OSX to access DFS junctions using Novell CIFS is indeed available and it should work for you. Few extra configuration steps are needed specifically for DFS related things to work with MAC client. Details of these steps and other related information is already available in the "Troubleshooting CIFS" section of OES11 SP2 CIFS admin guide:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/file_cifs_lx/data/b1729835.html

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/file_cifs_lx/data/bsutdm4.html#b17qbot0

Let us know if these configuration changes helped in resolving the issue or not from MAC clients perspective.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like your second link answers my question. We do not do WINS/NetBIOS name resolution. So if OES can't be configured to present FQDN, it isn't going to work.
Any idea if this is fixed in OES 2015?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.