Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DFS VLDB replica site on mixed platform?

DFS VLDB on NetWare (working fine)
DFS VLDB on OES2 SP1 (seems to be working fine) located on an NSS volume.

So there's ONE management context
and one replica site with two replicas (if my terminology is correct)

The question is:

When I had the VLDB on both NetWare servers, I could go into iManager on either server and manage the replica site and it would show both servers in green.

However, if I use iManager on the OES2 server and select the OES2 server and view the site, I see IT's replica as green, and the NetWare one as "site connection failed".

If I use iManager on NetWare and select the NetWare server and view the sites, I see just the opposite (I see the NetWare server green, and the OES2 site as "site connection failed".

I am unable to use iManager on OES2 and select the NetWare server. I get:
File Protocol error occurred: cannot open the NSS version file on the selected server. The NSS software may not currently be running on this server.

Is this normal? Meaning the "cross platform" results in site connection failures?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DFS VLDB replica site on mixed platform?

A couple of questions to maybe help diagnose the problem a bit further:

1) Does your NetWare server only have NSS volumes or does it have a SYS volume that is TFS by any chance?

2) Have you tried how iManager workstation behaves?

3) Are both servers on a same lan, or if not, is there a firewall between them?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Certainly!

1) NetWare server has only NSS volumes on it. One for SYS and the other called: DFS (to house just the DFS VLDB).

2) No to be honest I have not tried that. I will.

3) Yes, same LAN, sitting right next to each other on a switched network.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I had to update some iManager things on my NetWare box, which of course, requires you restart tomcat

After doing that, the NetWare server shows both VLDB as green (in other words, it can connect)

However, the OES2 SP1 server still does not appear to be able to "talk" to the NetWare server for the purposes of VLDB.

But I did notice I'm having the storage plugin issue that others are having (which is crappy given that this was a fresh clean install of OES2 SP1 and it doesn't work correctly out of the box)

So I will have to remove the storage plugins, etc. etc. as was discussed in the forums and see if that helps things.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Got my storage plugins issue fixed, but it didn't fix the DFS issue when you try to use iManager on OES2 SP1 to manage the VLDB on NetWare.

I may have to open an SR since I can't find anything documented about this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I suggest to do not use DFS on Linux.
I'm on a mixed environment OES2 SP1 and NetWare 6.5 SP6.
These was the issues:

a) Unable to manage the management context because iManager
give me the "Error: Storage Error" + "Cannot Connect".
Only some rare times I can see the replica site list.
b) The VLDB has been corrupted after the first server brutal power
down and I need to manually rebuild the DB.
c) I've no control over that service due to the unability to connect
to the management site.

I've decided to not use it.
Also on that forum the guys that have asked question about DFS have received only the "Automatic Reply".

Giovanni Coa
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks.

I've seen the "a" item you mentioned, only once. And neither server could/would work. I ended up rebooting both servers and then it worked, but I think I may have had a datacom issue, but not 100% sure. It's not happened since.

I had an issue with rebuilding the database, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it was due to all the eDir issues I had with the ID Transfer or not.

I'm still unable to use iManager on OES2 to manage NetWare and OES2 DFS replica sites. But NetWare iManager can manage both.

I may have to open an SR. After next week, I can put VLDB/DFS on both OES rather than have one on NW and one on OES2 to see if that fixes things.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, had it happen again today.

DFS stops working (like nobody can access the DFS stuff). I try iManager on both servers and neither one can manage their own replica site. Get the:

Error: Storage Error
Cannot Connect

I end up having to reboot both the NetWare and the OES2 SP1 Linux server

DFS is definitely not working right somewhere. I got some network traces though so maybe I'll luck out and Novell can figure out what's going on.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Just an FYI:

Novell has found a bug with this, and is modifying the readme in the next release to state to NOT put VLDB on mixed platform. Either all your replica sites should be on NW or OES2 Linux, but not one of each (contrary to what the migration documentation states now).

So I'll be moving the remaining VLDB to OES2 and see if that resolve the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We also have an open SR with novell regarding this "Error:Storage Error Cannot Connect" because we cannot even manage our replica site because of this error and we also cannot modify junctions.

kjhurni,

Could you please give me your SR number so I can ask the person assisting us to refer to your SR for possible clues on our problem?

Thank you.

VTS

kjhurni;1852227 wrote:
Just an FYI:

Novell has found a bug with this, and is modifying the readme in the next release to state to NOT put VLDB on mixed platform. Either all your replica sites should be on NW or OES2 Linux, but not one of each (contrary to what the migration documentation states now).

So I'll be moving the remaining VLDB to OES2 and see if that resolve the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

vtsantiago;1853833 wrote:
We also have an open SR with novell regarding this "Error:Storage Error Cannot Connect" because we cannot even manage our replica site because of this error and we also cannot modify junctions.

kjhurni,

Could you please give me your SR number so I can ask the person assisting us to refer to your SR for possible clues on our problem?

Thank you.

VTS

Sure! SR #'s:

and

The last one is specific to the error you and I get, but the first SR was related to NetStorage, but when I heard that Novell found issues with VLDB on mixed platform, I figured it has to also affect the last SR as well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni,

were you also seeing this error on your /var/log/messages file when you were getting the "Storage Error Cannot connect" on imanager.

adminus daemon[6731]: Jetstream connection timed out (startTime = 1252592855)

VTS

kjhurni;1853958 wrote:
Sure! SR #'s:

and

The last one is specific to the error you and I get, but the first SR was related to NetStorage, but when I heard that Novell found issues with VLDB on mixed platform, I figured it has to also affect the last SR as well.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.