Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2505 views

DHCP works on switch but not hub

DHCP server running on Netware 6 SP2 connected to a 3Com 4400 switch.If I plug the workstation into the switch it gets an IP from the
server. If I plug the workstation into an SMC 5924 hub (the hub is
plugged into the switch), it says no response from the DHCP server,
continues to boot, but doesn't have an IP.

I've seen comments about Spanning Tree Protocol.....but not having
messed around with my switches and hubs before, I'm not sure if that
is the issue here. The 3Com says it has STP and it also has Rapid
Spanning Tree Protocol - RSTP is enabled by default.

My network has run fine with static IPs using the SMC hubs (I have a
couple of them)....but since I'm getting ready to change over to DHCPI need to figure out where the problem is.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Ken



Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

Additional info: workstations are Win2000 SP3, client 4.83 SP2e

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:32:50 GMT, Ken Etter
<kle@_RemoveThis_msktd.com> wrote:

>DHCP server running on Netware 6 SP2 connected to a 3Com 4400 switch.


>If I plug the workstation into the switch it gets an IP from the
>server. If I plug the workstation into an SMC 5924 hub (the hub is
>plugged into the switch), it says no response from the DHCP server,
>continues to boot, but doesn't have an IP.
>
>I've seen comments about Spanning Tree Protocol.....but not having
>messed around with my switches and hubs before, I'm not sure if that>is the issue here. The 3Com says it has STP and it also has Rapid
>Spanning Tree Protocol - RSTP is enabled by default.
>
>My network has run fine with static IPs using the SMC hubs (I have a>couple of them)....but since I'm getting ready to change over to DHCP


>I need to figure out where the problem is.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Regards,
>Ken





0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

In article <r4enqv8g60orl4vkl7lbo26pgui5t79re1@4ax.com>, Ken Etter
wrote:
> (the hub is
> plugged into the switch)
>

Perhaps a silly question, but it's often the simple things that nail us... is the connection between the switch and hub using a crossover connection (port or cable, but not both)? And you're not using a
crossover connection for the workstation to the hub, correct?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:50:48 GMT, Brad Doster <bd@NSCSysOps.net>
wrote:

>Perhaps a silly question, but it's often the simple things that nail


>us... is the connection between the switch and hub using a crossover


>connection (port or cable, but not both)? And you're not using a
>crossover connection for the workstation to the hub, correct?


Brad,

Connections are all correct. This is a 24 port hub and it currently
has about 20 computers connected to it (with static IP's). They are
all working fine - connecting to the server fine. The problem is when

I change the PC to get its IP from DHCP, it does not get one. That'swhy I asked about the Spanning Tree stuff. But from what I've read,
that affected Win98 and this is Win2000. Also, the 3Com switch has
Rapid Spanning Tree enabled, not the standard Spanning Tree stuff.
Any more thoughts?

Regards,
Ken



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:50:48 GMT, Brad Doster <bd@NSCSysOps.net>
wrote:

>Perhaps a silly question, but it's often the simple things that nail


>us...


Brad,

Problem solved....and yes it was a simple thing. I decided to check
all my hubs (I have various SMC models). They all worked
fine.....including one that was identical to the problem one. So on a

whim, I tried a different port on the problem hub. It worked. Turnsout I have a bad port on that hub. Sheesh.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Ken Etter



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

In article <ctevqvobsrdau4qdpe7mo4uqqj18lafvog@4ax.com>, Ken Etter
wrote:
> Turns
> out I have a bad port on that hub. Sheesh.
>

Glad you found it!

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:22:06 GMT, Brad Doster <bd@NSCSysOps.net>
wrote:

>Glad you found it!


So am I. It's kind of funny that the first port I would try on any of

my hubs would turn out to be bad.....I need to remember that such
coincidences can happen. <G>




0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DHCP works on switch but not hub

In article <0812rv0cq00ljrcijq3qm8lo0v0jkjfe6f@4ax.com>, Ken Etter
wrote:
> I need to remember that such
> coincidences can happen. <G>
>

Yep! 🙂

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.