Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNS Cache setting questions???'s

I want to assume that my local DNS servers retain a cache of the lookups for all external domains... .com , .mil , .edu, etc,etc that my PC clients request but these servers do not have and have to send a fetch for the answers. If these servers do retain a cache and I wish to stop them from retaining a cache....Should .. I go to my DNS\DHCP console, DNS tab, highlight the 'RootServerInfo' zone and then click on the SOA and change the Minimum TTL to 0 (zero)?

...or is there another way?

Also, am I correct in NOT setting either of my DNS servers as Authoritative or as a Designated Primary for the RootServerInfo zone?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Cache setting questions???'s

I'm not sure if that will do it, but if you are running servers on NW6.5 you can go into the DNSDHCP management console and click on the server at the bottom of the screen, select the Advanced tab, and set the "max-cache-ttl" to 1 minute, yes, you can probably set it to 0, but do you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do this?

you can always just clear the cache by loading NAMED -PC (or NAMED -PA, depending on your NetWare OS), or just unload/load named.

You are correct, do NOT set your server as authoritative for root, because your server has no information for root.

>>> Mark Simpkins<SimpMark@shenet.org> 01-Nov-04 09:32:29 >>>

I want to assume that my local DNS servers retain a cache of the lookups for all external domains... .com , .mil , .edu, etc,etc that my PC clients request but these servers do not have and have to send a fetch for the answers. If these servers do retain a cache and I wish to stop them from retaining a cache....Should .. I go to my DNS\DHCP console, DNS tab, highlight the 'RootServerInfo' zone and then click on the SOA and change the Minimum TTL to 0 (zero)?

...or is there another way?

Also, am I correct in NOT setting either of my DNS servers as Authoritativeor as a Designated Primary for the RootServerInfo zone?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Cache setting questions???'s

Do I really want to do this.....Oh, probably not....but it's a troubleshooting step I must make...

We both know this may not be the smartest thing to do....but, do it I must.

THANK YOU!!!!

-->Mark S.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.