UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNS/DHCP Managment Console- IP Addresses not releasing

Hello,

I have added a new subnet on our network so we can add more wireless devices (iPads, Cellphones, etc. are all now needing IP addresses)

Everything is working fine except that the addresses are not releasing after 3 days. If someone with a Laptop comes into our building with a cell phone or laptop they are picking up an IP address automatically. Then once they leave (and the 3 day lease time expires) DNS/DHCP is not making that address available for another device.

Now we are quickly running out of local IP addresses on this new subnet. How can I get DNS/DHCP management console to hand out previously used expired IP addresses to new devices?

Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What NetWare version is this? What patch level?
Also, when through the dHCP Management console you select one of the problem leases and select the "usage" tab. what does it report?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello, this is Novell 6.5 sp8

When I select Usage in DHCP Management console, it does show that the device has used the IP address in the last 3 days. So it appears that is not the issue.

Now I am seeing the problem as this- Once an IP address is "expired" DCHP does not issue it to a new device.

For example. x.168.32.59 is currently available. x.168.32.60 x.168.32.61 and so on are taken. The next device to get onto the network will not be issued x.168.32.59 even though it is the lowest address available. Instead, it will go to the highest available address x.168.34.28. So basically I am going to run out of addresses eventually even though there are available addresses not being used.

Thanks you for your time and help
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you actually run out of IP addresses? I have not checked the behavior of the DHCP server too closely, but it is well possible that it will hand out unused addresses before reusing expired ones, but that doesn't mean it will really run out of addresses.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel_Cox;2154166 wrote:
Have you actually run out of IP addresses? I have not checked the behavior of the DHCP server too closely, but it is well possible that it will hand out unused addresses before reusing expired ones, but that doesn't mean it will really run out of addresses.

Hello,

No we haven't run out yet so that my very well be the case.

We do have two subnets in the same building .30 subnet and .32 subnet

They both work, and any client can pickup an IP on either subnet.

The .30 subnet was the old one and the .32 subnet has just been created. Now all new clients pickup an address on the .32 subnet.

Is there any way to figure out why all the clients want to pull a .32 address now?

Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The DHCP protocol does not define an order in which addresses are
allocated. I guess therefore we should not wonder too much about what
address is handed out, as long as valid addresses are being handed out.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.