Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1167 views

DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

Hello,

after having migrated from NW 5.1 to NW 6.5 I have strange problems:

DNS: I started DNIPINST and configured for the existing contexts, starting
named I only find the root server info in the DNS_DHCP Console. So DNS is
not working correct.

DHCP: Starting DHCPSRVR everything works wonderful, besides DNS-DHCP Console
where I can't find any running DHCP-Server!

What's to be done?

Regards Udo


Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

First, lets make sure you don't have multiple DNSDHCP Locator objects in your
tree. To do so, use ConsoleOne to search the entire tree for objects of type
DNIP:Locator. If more than one is found, see TID 10014655.

If that's not the problem...

In article <tiXEh.1660$ra4.991@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Udo Czygan wrote:
> DHCP: Starting DHCPSRVR everything works wonderful, besides DNS-DHCP Console
> where I can't find any running DHCP-Server!
>

If you mean that the server appears with a red X through it, it's cosmetic and
as long as all is working properly, nothing to be concerned with.

As for your DNS, you'll likely have to export your zones (all except the
RootServerInfo zone), delete them, then import the exported files in order to
recreate them.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

I don't have multiple DNSDHCP Locator objects in the tree.
When I click the DHCP-TAB I see no server - nearley nothing! Although DHCP
is working properly.

In DNS, like in DHCP, I have exported the whole database before migrating,
so I should import those exported files - if I want to do this I get the
error, that this isn't a DNS file!



"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:VA.00003c17.40e42c9d@nscsysops.net...
> First, lets make sure you don't have multiple DNSDHCP Locator objects in
> your
> tree. To do so, use ConsoleOne to search the entire tree for objects of
> type
> DNIP:Locator. If more than one is found, see TID 10014655.
>
> If that's not the problem...
>
> In article <tiXEh.1660$ra4.991@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Udo Czygan
> wrote:
>> DHCP: Starting DHCPSRVR everything works wonderful, besides DNS-DHCP
>> Console
>> where I can't find any running DHCP-Server!
>>

> If you mean that the server appears with a red X through it, it's cosmetic
> and
> as long as all is working properly, nothing to be concerned with.
>
> As for your DNS, you'll likely have to export your zones (all except the
> RootServerInfo zone), delete them, then import the exported files in order
> to
> recreate them.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
>
>



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

Did you install the new management console from the new server version?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

Brad,

Pardon, I have two dnsdhcp locator objects!
May I use dnipinst (Version 6.04)? Whats about the other DHCP-servers
(running NW 5.1) in remote localities?
I think they could be affected.

Regards Udo


"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:VA.00003c18.4369b35f@nscsysops.net...
> Did you install the new management console from the new server version?
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
>
>



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

In article <oR9Fh.2228$ra4.724@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Udo Czygan
wrote:
> May I use dnipinst (Version 6.04)?
>

Yes, that should be fine, if you choose that option. But since your
exported files seem to be in question, you may do better to follow
Option 2 in TID 10014655.

> Whats about the other DHCP-servers
> (running NW 5.1) in remote localities?
>

Ideally they should have a replica of the NDS partition containing the
Locator, Group and RootServerInfo objects. If you're going to use
DNIPINST to remove and reinstall these, consider creating a new O just
for these objects, then partition it off and replicate it to each
location.

Also, it can be a challenge to mix DNS amount 6.5 and pre-6.5 servers
due to major differences in their BIND versions. If at all possible,
only run DNS on 6.5 servers, or on pre-6.5 servers. If that is not
possible, then make the pre-6.5 servers caching only servers, i.e.
don't assign any zones to them -- let 6.5 servers handle all of your
zone info.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

Thank's Brad, all worked fine, and my exported files were running as well.

Best wishes Udo


"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:VA.00003c1c.460bad47@nscsysops.net...
> In article <oR9Fh.2228$ra4.724@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Udo Czygan
> wrote:
>> May I use dnipinst (Version 6.04)?
>>

> Yes, that should be fine, if you choose that option. But since your
> exported files seem to be in question, you may do better to follow
> Option 2 in TID 10014655.
>
>> Whats about the other DHCP-servers
>> (running NW 5.1) in remote localities?
>>

> Ideally they should have a replica of the NDS partition containing the
> Locator, Group and RootServerInfo objects. If you're going to use
> DNIPINST to remove and reinstall these, consider creating a new O just
> for these objects, then partition it off and replicate it to each
> location.
>
> Also, it can be a challenge to mix DNS amount 6.5 and pre-6.5 servers
> due to major differences in their BIND versions. If at all possible,
> only run DNS on 6.5 servers, or on pre-6.5 servers. If that is not
> possible, then make the pre-6.5 servers caching only servers, i.e.
> don't assign any zones to them -- let 6.5 servers handle all of your
> zone info.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
>
>



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS-DHCP Problem after Migration

In article <jkXGh.1717$Zb.976@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Udo Czygan
wrote:
> Thank's Brad, all worked fine, and my exported files were running as well.
>

Good to hear. Thanks for the report back!

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.