Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

DNS FQDN issue

Jump to solution

OES 11.3

Novell DNS/DHCP

Have a Windows 2019 server with ZENworks on it.   I can ping using IP or short name, but not FQDN.  I know some things require FQDN.  

nslookup 10.0.1.35

Server: Unknown

Address: 10.0.1.2

***unknown can't fine 10.0.1.35:Non-existent domain

Same result for SERVER and SERVER.DOMAIN.LOCAL

If I ping SERVER it responds.  If I ping IP it responds.  If I ping SERVER.DOMAIN.LOCAL

Ping request could not find host SERVER.DOMAIN.LOCAL.  Please check the name and try again.

It's been while since I have done Novell Administration regularly.  I know a few are using straight SLES or Windows servers for DHCP/DNS.  Any idea of where to look?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DNS FQDN issue

Jump to solution

This is named's logfile, usually residing at

/var/opt/novell/log/named/named.run

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

If it's just about administering DNS and DHCP stuff on OES:

You'll find the management console installation files via

http://<ip address of server>/welcome/client-software.html

Docs to be found here

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/ntwk_dnsdhcp_lx/data/bookinfo.html#bookinfo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for link, but it's not about administration.  My issue is that everything looks to be correct, but FQDN doesn't work.  I can use FQDN on other workstations, but not on this server.  Just not sure what is wrong with FQDN and this server.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

OK, different thing then. Whom do you want to resolve / ping from where? From the OP it's unclear which IP belongs to which box. Please post

- IP and name of ZCM box

- IP of DNS server and

- IP of the box which doesn't resolve properly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

IP of zenworks2020srv is 10.0.1.35
IP of DNS server is 10.0.1.2
IP of the box that doesn't resolve 10.0.6.145 is one. Another box, I don't remember.
It's a flat network with no VLANs.
Subnet 255.255.0.0
I can ping by IP and shortname. Can't ping by FQDN. I can ping the FQDN of the 10,0.6.145 box from the other. Both of those have the Novell Client on them. I tried adding a suffix through DHCP, and local on the machine in 3 different places. Went through some of this trying to troubleshoot. https://www.slideshare.net/NOVL/advanced-dnsdhcp-for-novell-edirectory-environments

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Given that, it seems that the forward- or reverse-record (or both) for "zenworks2020srv" / "10.0.1.35" is /are missing.

In the DNSDHCP console, do you have an A record with value "10.0.1.35" for "zenworks2020srv" in the "yourdomain.something" zone? And a reverse record with the value of  "zenworks2020srv.yourdomain.something" for "35.1.0" in the "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" zone?

While you'd have to add these manually in a static offset you'd have to explicitely configure DDNS on the OES box if "zenworks2020srv" gets its IP via (in this case likely static) DHCP. By default it will NOT be allowed to update any record on its own.

Also please note that, depending on the OS, MDNS will tamper and lead to inconsistent results if you have ".local" as toplevel domain.

All this assumes that you have the problem on performing "ping -a" or "nslookup" for "zenworks2020srv.yourdomain.something" and "10.0.1.35" from some other box, right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Just to mention:

If records have been missing and you've added them you'll have to

- wait a while or (better) issue rcnovell-named restart on the OES box

- issue "ipconfig /flushdns" on a Windows client

- bounce the "nscd" daemon on a Linux box

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

I did create the A record for zenworks2020srv with IP of 10.0.1.35, and it created the reverse of 35.1 in the reverse zone.  All the other DNS records had the full x.x.0.10.  So I created a full 35.1.0.10, but that didn't seem to make a difference either way.  That being said, I did NOT create a reverse for the full domain name.  I honestly didn't even think about that.  I thought the domain should be filled automatically.

I have DDNS setup with TSIG and those entries work fine.  The static entry does not for the FQDN.  But that makes sense if I don't have the FQDN in DNS.  I was under the assumption that I didn't NEED it, and honestly never occurred to me that I would.  I'm used to Windows DNS and that is how it works.  I can use short or long names for all my workstations.

We do use a domain.k12.mo.us domain.  I do have issue with both ping and nslookup for "zenworks2020srv.domain.k12.mo.us" from same workstation.    I will try adding the FQDN to DNS tomorrow.

Any DDNS workstations that I have tried do resolve the FQDN automatically if I remember right.  I am not sure I tried it both ways to those test workstations.

I did restart the service and /flushdns, but did not bounce the  nscd daemon.  Thanks for sticking with me and I'll reply tomorrow.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Does this mean that your OES DNS is NOT authoritative for the domain "domain.k12.mo.us"? I just ask 'cause you've been mentioning something ending with ".local". If you're NOT authoritative for this domain you'll either have to ask the corresponding admin to add the record in the zone OR create a so-called "pinpoint record" (which is not a big deal, to be done in seconds...).

Also, as for your reverse zone, is it named "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" or "0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA"?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Sorry for not being more consistent. I was just using domain.local as example, or placeholder for the primary domain. It is authoritative for the zone. And is domain.k12.mo.us.

Reverse zone is 0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Generally it's better to have this classless, but apart from having "0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" instead of "10.IN-ADDR.ARPA", does it look like in the attachments? The reverse record would be "35.1", of course, if the zone would be "0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA".

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Reverse only shows zenworks2020srv.  I will add the zenworks2020srv.domain.k12.mo.us today and try it out, though.  The rest looks the same.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.