Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: DNS FQDN issue

Jump to solution

That particular server is still not working with FQDN.  I even removed all DNS entries and set the machine to get a DHCP address.  Last thing I can think to try is installing Novell client.  That's the only common thing other machines have.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

The Novell client is absolutely, by now means, not at all, involved in this. Generally you should work classful, if ever possible, i.e. with a 10.IN-ADDR.ARPA zone. But at leat nowadays it wouldn't impose a problem for the query you issue. In the OXBu3gi.png screenshot, i'm missing the "us" toplevel domain. Does it really miss in the zone or just from the screenshot?

Apart from that, in the same pic, i seriously wonder how a "0.7.0.10" record could ever make it to a "0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" zone. This should never, really NEVER ever happen, as it would finally resolve to "10.0.10.0.7.0".

Apart from that, i'd suggest to grab a wireshark trace from the WS you run nslookup on, with a filter of "ip.addr==ip.of.dns.server", and post it here along with with a zipped copy of named.run.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

The "us" is after the last period.  It's just not in the screenshot.

All the IPs that were created through DDNS show all 4 octets.  When I created the IPs manually, they only show two octects.  So the 0.7.0.10 was created through DDNS.  There might be something wrong there, but that's how it is.  I also don't have issues finding or ping addresses in that range.  I can't remember the exact range, but it's 10,0.4.x-10.0.8.x, I believe.  Smaller district, flat network.

I'm toying with rebuilding the server and can definitely look at moving to 10.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  Not super fluent with DNS setup, but will do some research on it.  

I'll work on the Wireshark stuff on Tuesday when I go back to work.  Or possibly try jumping in the next few days.  Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the named.run I need?  How do I get that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

This is named's logfile, usually residing at

/var/opt/novell/log/named/named.run

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

...and to clarify: all this has nothing to do with "ignorance".

Nevertheless, the offset seems to deserve a review. You've mentioned "10.0.4.x - 10.0.8.x", which would suggest a /24 mask while early in the thread it's been /16. Is there a specific reason to run OES11? It's out of support for quite some time, current builds are more flexible regarding classful / classless offsets. The (likely needed) changes to the current offset would unfortunately also require changes on the DHCP side, which means: the lower the number of active leases, the less impact. So maybe it's a good idea to care for this before school life goes to full throttle again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.