obscurityPrivacy Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

DNS: Reverse Lookup and DNSDHCP-Console vs. some MF Applications

I create a DNS-Zone via DNSDHCP-Console. I have a reverse-Lookup zone, too.

IP: 172.16.12.0/12

So I have to use 16.172.in-addr.arpa as reverse lookup zone.

But a few MF-Applications create DNS-Records via LDAP/eDir. And so they create the reverse lookup zone 12.16.172.in-addr.arpa. :-{

So there are two possibilities where to find a hostname for a IP

When request a hostname via DNS I get only those where in the (correct) zone 16.172.in-addr.arpa. But the MF-Applications has added them to 12.16.172.in-addr.arpa where the bind does not found them. (OK, I can move them manually to the correct zone, but ... sometimes I am really tiered ...)

Maybe someone of the real gods want to check this and file a bug?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DNS: Reverse Lookup and DNSDHCP-Console vs. some MF Applications

@obscurityPrivacy wrote:

I create a DNS-Zone via DNSDHCP-Console. I have a reverse-Lookup zone, too.

IP: 172.16.12.0/12

Do you really need a network that can accommodate 1048576 addresses?

Refer to Wikipedia Private IPv4 addresses

The 172. private address space consists of sixteen class B networks each of which can accommodate 65,536 addresses.  The networks are identified as 172.16.0.0/16 through 172.31.0.0/16. Your /12 combines all sixteen class B networks into one large network

What you are doing, if done correctly, will work but there are some caveats.

Refer to RFC 2317 Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation 

The easiest solution might just be to change the subnet mask on your network to 255.255.0.0 making your network 172.16.12.0/16.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ok, it is not _my_ network ... and so I am not able to reconfig this at the moment ...
But that was not the question.

The point is that the DNSDHCP-Console create the reverse lookup addresses in an other manner as some of the MF applications.
This does the result that the reverse lookup does not give an answer to some entrys
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@obscurityPrivacy wrote:
The point is that the DNSDHCP-Console create the reverse lookup addresses in an other manner as some of the MF applications.
This does the result that the reverse lookup does not give an answer to some entrys

My point is that you do not have a standard class B network. Novell's DNS/DHCP correctly handles requests for a standard class B network without any special configuration.

If you are unable to reconfigure your network then you are left with the more difficult task of properly configuring your DNS, assuming you want to resolve this issue and not just understand why it is happening.

RFC 2317 Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation explains how you can make it work for your network but I don't know that you can make the appropriate configuration changes via the DNS/DHCP Java Console.

If you want a better understanding of the issue and some examples of how to deal with it, do an Internet search for "Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation".

_____
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@obscurityPrivacy wrote:
Ok, it is not _my_ network ... and so I am not able to reconfig this at the moment ...
But that was not the question.

PLease define "some of the MF applications". I have to say, you are very often very imprecise in your questions. *If* there is a problem here (vs. a configuration issue), then it's apparently in a product you even fail to mention. It is really hard to help you that way.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Respected Contributor.

@mrosen  schrieb:

PLease define "some of the MF applications".

In this case it was DSfW (OES2018SP1)

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

@mrosen  schrieb:

I have to say, you are very often very imprecise in your questions.

Indeed, I try to give all information that are neccessary from my POV but at less information as possible.

This could be a result from this forum. I feel tracked an watched at all my being here. (Did I remark that I want my nntp back? 😉 This is a ugly feeling ... 🎥

Unfortunately I need this forum for my questions ...

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Ok, maybe I am dumb but, if I see:

REvers.png

(See: There is a zone 16.172.in-addr.arpa)

I expect that a script insert a new record in 16.172.in-addr.arpa.

I do not expect that it creates a new zone 12.16.172.in-addr.arpa an add the record there.

More than ever if the resolving of an IP does not run afterwards ...

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@obscurityPrivacy wrote:

REvers.png

(See: There is a zone 16.172.in-addr.arpa)

I expect that a script insert a new record in 16.172.in-addr.arpa.

I do not expect that it creates a new zone 12.16.172.in-addr.arpa an add the record there.

More than ever if the resolving of an IP does not run afterwards ...

See, that helps. This is a misconfiguration in several ways.

One: Your original network is wrong to boot. 172.16.12.0/12 is incorrect. It's 172.16.0.0/12

And the one and only correct way to delegate the PTR zones for that is to delegate the individual /16 networks, aka 16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA - 31.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@obscurityPrivacy wrote:

REvers.png

How is it that 172.16 through 172.20, 172.29, and 172.30 are in the list but 172.21 through 172.28 and 172.31 are missing.?

_____
0 Likes
lelle Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi,

When it comes to the defined networks (172,16/16, 172.17/16 etc), my guess it's the network he has defined.

Then I think that the clients doesn't have a /16 mask, it probably have a /24 mask and want to register it and OES is smart/dumb enough to do that regardless of the in-addr.arpa zones that are defined. If you want to have a /16 zone you have to let your clients be on a ip network with a /16 mask.

But I haven't tried so it's a educated guess

/Lelle

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.