Captain
Captain

DNS Server forward clients to outdated www ip address

Hi all,

i've got the problem that our 4 dns-servers of our oes 2018 currently
forward the clients to an outdated ip of a www address.

Detailed explanation:

I change the A-Name DNS Record of our company website's www address at our
hosting provider to a new ip address. But our dns-servers currently forward the clients
to the old ip address because they don't have update the new ip address.

I just try rcnovell-named restart and rndc reload/flush but without any effects.

So the question is how can i update the dns cache manually or how
can i assign the correct ip to the www address manually?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Labels (1)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Just to clarify:

If you run nslookup against your internal OES-based DNS servers you get a non-authoritative answer poiting to the outdated address. Did you create a forwarding zone with a conditional forwarder for the domain in question? Or is this handled via the "global" forwarder? Do you get consistent info if you query the forwarder directly?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi Mathias,

i guess i explain the story it a little bit wrong.

The "old outdated" ip of our www address still exists but it points
not to our domain (which i turned from http to https) anymore but still on our http domain. Our DNS Servers still has the "old" address of the http domain saved. Since i activate a ssl-certificate 4 days ago for our website we've got another ip address to access our website with ssl.

The point is when i ping or made dns lookup to our domain address at home or anywhere outside of my company i will see the correct ip which are also updated at the NIC and my browser can also access to our website.

But when i do the same in our company network the ping/dnslookup refers to the
"old" ip and any browser is unable to show me our website because of the wrong ip entry at 
the dns server by us.

This is because our dns servers don't have the "new" ip address updated.

To your questions - I have only a refer at our firewall which points from our domainname to our dns servers directly. 

As i can see there are no forwarders on the zones (i don't has setup the server, i have overtaken the system as a new admin)

So the only thing what i wanna do is to say to our dns servers "go and update/sync with the dns servers outside of our network that you get the correct ip address of our company website"

Tom

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

It all depends on whether you internal DNS "hosts" the zone in question itself (as opposed to "forward the query to someone else").

If you run a nslookup against your internal DNS for the address in question, do you see something like "non-authoritative answer" in the output?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Ok, when i run nslookup it shows me only the domain name and the ip without something else.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

OK. So apparently you host it internally. In the DNSDHCP management console the should be listed with all the A (and other) records underneath. Is the correct IP address specified there?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

no we dont host it internal - it is an outsourced webserver.

But at the DNSDHCP Console there is a entry for the Domain - its only a www record
with a cname entry but not with an ip address. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I meant to say "you host the DNS records internally".

But facing that it's a CNAME: it has to point somewhere, likely to a DNS name in a zone you don't host internally. Is this true? Or does it point to a name in a zone which you host yourself?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Ok this was a missunderstanding - i guess we talking about 2 different things - i made all entrys (A Record, CNAME, etc.) for our domain at my domain hosting provider online and there are the correct entrys.

i'm honesty - I will now just wait a little bit - hopefully our dns servers sync with the dns servers of our ISP.

I was just wondering if there was a command to do the sync between the dns servers manually

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

But if your OES servers hand out outdated information (i.e. the old ip address) they must somehow get this information. Either they host this record themselves (and it wasn't changed) or they get the info from an "upstream" server configured as a forwarder. That's way i asked to check in the java console. If neither applies then by default the DNS server will try to resolve the name via root servers.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Boom - step forward!

I was blind - somehow i missed to check the @folder at the domain zone - there stands the "old" ip adress.
I've change it now to the correct address and wait if the dns servers take the new address.

First thing at nslookup i see now the correct ip.

BUT - when i ping the domain without www. it pings the old ip - access to the website is still not given.
when i ping with www.domain.com it pings the correct ip.

Do you thing it takes now a couple of minutes before dns servers update the ip?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

As for a ping, this might be simply a caching issue on the WS, in this case "ipconfig /flushdns" would help.

Other than that: is this by chance a pinpoint record? If you (in the mgmt console) look at the entry with the "Z" icon next to it, what do you see? "Just" something like "domain.tld" or rather "hostname.domain.tld"?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.