Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1235 views

DNS Setup question

Hello all,

I currently have the following setup:

NATed LAN with a Linux box running DNS for the LAN on the private IP addresses.

ISP running DNS for our domain on the public side.

I am dropping the Linux box and moving DNS onto a Netware box. I would

also like to be able to do our own DNS, and drop the (expensive <g>)
ISP
service.

Can anybody point me in the direction to get this set up? The docs
I've
been able to find have been a little confusing and it is very
different
from setting it up on the Linux box ... can anybody refer me to a
simple
"howto" on this?


TIA,
Ken
--
* Ken McLeod
* Technology Coordinator
* THE DELPHIAN SCHOOL
* 20950 SW Rock Creek Road
* SHERIDAN, OR 97378
* http://www.delphian.org

--
* Ken McLeod
* Technology Coordinator
* THE DELPHIAN SCHOOL
* 20950 SW Rock Creek Road
* SHERIDAN, OR 97378
* http://www.delphian.org




Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Setup question

Did you give up on doing the import we were discussing in an earlier thread? If no, please go back there and continue as it's too
confusing
to have to bounce between the threads and maintain a semblance of
sanity <g>.

If yes...

Create DNS server.
Add your ISP's DNS server(s) to your server's Forwarding List.
Create in-addr.arpa zone, e.g. 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa if your subnet
is
192.168.1.0 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.
Create forward lookup zone, e.g. company.com.
Create A record for your DNS server.
Create additional A records for other hosts as appropriate.

Using this example, all A records created with 192.168.1.x addresses will automatically get PTR records created in your in-addr.arpa zone.
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Setup question

Hi Brad,

> Did you give up on doing the import we were discussing in an earlier


> thread? If no, please go back there and continue as it's too

confusing
> to have to bounce between the threads and maintain a semblance of
> sanity <g>.


No, I didn't give up. Seldom do once I get started on something --
it's
getting there that's a problem sometimes. <g> I did what you said and

was able to import the info.
>
> Create DNS server.
> Add your ISP's DNS server(s) to your server's Forwarding List.
> Create in-addr.arpa zone, e.g. 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa if your subnet

is
> 192.168.1.0 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.
> Create forward lookup zone, e.g. company.com.
> Create A record for your DNS server.
> Create additional A records for other hosts as appropriate.
>
> Using this example, all A records created with 192.168.1.x addresses


> will automatically get PTR records created in your in-addr.arpa

zone.

Ah -- I missed the IN-ADDR.ARPA stuff. This would seem to handle DNS

for the private network ... do I just repeat the process to pick up my

own DNS for public resolution? I want to replace the ISP DNS server/s

with my own.

TIA,
Ken
--
* Ken McLeod
* Technology Coordinator
* THE DELPHIAN SCHOOL
* 20950 SW Rock Creek Road
* SHERIDAN, OR 97378
* http://www.delphian.org




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Setup question

In article <_Gyob.1648$5N5.1514@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ken
McLeod wrote:
> do I just repeat the process to pick up my
> own DNS for public resolution?
>

Maybe <g>. What is your public address space? If your subnet mask
for
the public side falls on a byte boundary, yes, it's like what I said before. If it includes a partial octet, it's considerably more
involved and requires a bit more ccordination with your ISP.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Setup question

Hi Brad,

Thanks ... I'm not really sure exactly what you're saying here, but
... <g>

> Maybe <g>. What is your public address space? If your subnet mask

for
> the public side falls on a byte boundary, yes, it's like what I said


> before. If it includes a partial octet, it's considerably more
> involved and requires a bit more ccordination with your ISP.


We have a full class C domain, netmask 255.255.255.0, so if I
understand
you right, this time I get a bit of good luck?

Cheers,
Ken
--
* Ken McLeod
* Technology Coordinator
* THE DELPHIAN SCHOOL
* 20950 SW Rock Creek Road
* SHERIDAN, OR 97378
* http://www.delphian.org




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DNS Setup question

In article <%4Vob.1906$kW3.1040@prv-forum3.provo.novell.com>, Ken
McLeod
wrote:
> We have a full class C domain, netmask 255.255.255.0, so if I

understand
> you right, this time I get a bit of good luck?
>

Yep. 🙂

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net




0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.