Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DNS and DHCP on the same server?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to deploy DNS on my OES2sp2 Linux server running Novell's DHCP server and I've come across a note that I didn't expect to see in the documentation, "Do not install any of the following services on the same server as Novell DNS." Then it has bulleted, -DHCP and DNS server (page 129 of OES 2 SP2: Novell DNS/DHCP Administration Guide for Linux).

Question: Can I run Novell DHCP and Novell DNS on the same OES2sp2 server (they are both installed but dns is not configured)? I'm guessing the note refers to Linux dns and dhcp but its not clear and I don't want to screw this server up.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

You can install them on the same server.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have 23 servers set up all running novell-named and novell-dhcpd....no problems at all...some are even running a proxy-dhcp for ZFD. 🙂

--El

avanrav;2192633 wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting ready to deploy DNS on my OES2sp2 Linux server running Novell's DHCP server and I've come across a note that I didn't expect to see in the documentation, "Do not install any of the following services on the same server as Novell DNS." Then it has bulleted, -DHCP and DNS server (page 129 of OES 2 SP2: Novell DNS/DHCP Administration Guide for Linux).

Question: Can I run Novell DHCP and Novell DNS on the same OES2sp2 server (they are both installed but dns is not configured)? I'm guessing the note refers to Linux dns and dhcp but its not clear and I don't want to screw this server up.

Thanks.

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

elagrew;2192717 wrote:
I have 23 servers set up all running novell-named and novell-dhcpd....no problems at all...some are even running a proxy-dhcp for ZFD. 🙂

--El

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.