John_Gill Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

DNS updates to IN-ADDR-ARPA

Hi,

Running SLES11 sp3 with OES11 sp2.

DHCP and most of DNS are working correctly, in that IP's and other details are pushed to the work station via DHCP. I can then ping the PC and the PC can resolve various DNS entries like servers. When using other application like SolarWinds etc the name resolution does not work 100 % correctly. The issue seems to be that the IN-ADDR-ARPA zone does not get updated automatically. By manually adding the IP address to this zone fixes the problem. How can I make this update to the IN-ADDR-ARPA zone automatic.

Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.
Regards
John
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DNS updates to IN-ADDR-ARPA

John_Gill;2467971 wrote:
Hi,

DHCP and most of DNS are working correctly, in that IP's and other details are pushed to the work station via DHCP. I can then ping the PC and the PC can resolve various DNS entries like servers. When using other application like SolarWinds etc the name resolution does not work 100 % correctly. The issue seems to be that the IN-ADDR-ARPA zone does not get updated automatically. By manually adding the IP address to this zone fixes the problem. How can I make this update to the IN-ADDR-ARPA zone automatic.

Regards
John

Have you configured dynamic dns? https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2015/ntwk_dnsdhcp_lx/data/ba3z7fu.html#fb30393

Thomas
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

The "DNS Zone for Dynamic Update" can only be set for the "domain" or "IN-ADDR-ARPA" but not for both. The "DNS Update Option" is set for "Always Update"

John
0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

John_Gill;2467971 wrote:
Hi,

Regards
John

Hi John,

Did you set the ddns-rev-domainname to "in-addr.arpa" in your dhcp server settings ?

You can also check in /var/log/dhcpd.log for more clue

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

Our network is a 10.xx.xx.xx network with about 50 subnets.

The setting for ddns-rev-domainname is set to 10.in-addr-arpa (this is the name of the zone) Perhaps I should remove the 10. portion of the 10.in-addr-arpa

The log file shows the following error: "Unable to add reverse map from 116.1.1.10.10.IN-ADDR-ARPA to John-Gill.domain.com not found

John
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No, that's not a good idea.

Have you added the 10.in-addr.arpa Zone to the configuration of your
dhcp-service(s)?

--
W. Prindl

John Gill wrote:

>
>Hi,
>
>Our network is a 10.xx.xx.xx network with about 50 subnets.
>
>The setting for ddns-rev-domainname is set to 10.in-addr-arpa (this is
>the name of the zone) Perhaps I should remove the 10. portion of the
>10.in-addr-arpa
>
>John

0 Likes
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Yes i think you should remove the 10. portion. We have about 38 differents subnets and everything is working fine with only in-addr.arpa as the ddns-rev-domainname . The dhcp server is adding the reverse ip address to the ddns-rev-domainname parameters to create the in-addr-arpa record.

After changing this you should see the dhcp server create the 116.1.1.10.IN-ADDR-ARPA record with success.

Reference : https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/settng-dynamic-dns-oes2-sp2/

Martin Dallaire
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.