Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DSRepair error -1

Hi, I have a couple of Netware 6.5Sp8 boxes that I am trying to run an unattended full repair on. I was running into issues that it would bomb out with an error that related to not enough drive space. I have gone in and increased the sys volume partition by a significant amount aprox 50%. Now when I try to do a dsrepair it locks the ds Database, immediately unlocks the DS Database and then errors out. the error that it reports is "error: insufficient disk space or missing files, error: -1

What is wrong? I now have 2 servers reporting this error. The rest of the servers in my tree are running dsrepair fine.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

At a first shot: What's about the sys:system\dsrepair.log file(s)? How much space did they use? Maybe it's a good idea to delete or rename them. Another attempt would be to use dsrepair -a ->advanced options ->log file and login configuration and disable logging (you may deleted the files from here too).
At a second shot: How big is your DIB? Is there really enough space for a copy while running dsrepair? Last but not least: Compare sys: and _admin: to the well working machines...

Tom
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:46:01 +0000, Pfleming wrote:

> Hi, I have a couple of Netware 6.5Sp8 boxes that I am trying to run an
> unattended full repair on.

For starters, don't do that. Ever. "Unattended full" is a holdover from
NetWare 4.1 in the 1990s. It is no longer needed, relevant, or a good
idea. Please don't use it.

Second, what problem are you having that you're trying to repair? Why are
you using dsrepair? What symptoms are you seeing?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Our DSRepair log is only 218kb tiny.

When I first tried running DSRepair on these servers the first log entry is what I was getting. As soon as I had enough space, through either deleting files or expanding the volume, I now get the second log entry.

NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 10551.81, DS 10554.34
Log file for server ".NWCC_HOUST.Houston.East.NWCC" in tree "NWCC"

** Automated Repair Mode **
Repairing Local Database
Start: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 16:39:37 Local Time

** All disk amounts are approximations **
->Current available disk space: 2992 MB
->DSRepair may need to use: 7485 MB
->Disk space remaining after operation: -745 MB

Physical Check
Creating Temporary Files
ERROR: Operation or update failed with Error: -153

Repair process aborted

Finish: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 16:57:34 Local Time
Total repair time: 0:17:57

/****************************************************************************/
NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 10551.81, DS 10554.34
Log file for server ".NWCC_HOUST.Houston.East.NWCC" in tree "NWCC"

Repairing Local Database
Start: Thursday, 9 February 2012 16:39:23 Local Time

ERROR: Insufficient disk space or missing files, Error: -1

Repair process aborted

Finish: Thursday, 9 February 2012 16:39:28 Local Time
Total repair time: 0:00:05
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As David says, you shouldn't be using this option anyway. What if you run a local repair, does it still error?

If so try updating to the latest and last patch for eDir 8.7.3.10 NOVELL: Downloads - eDirectory 8.7.3 SP10 FTF2 for NetWare . If it still happens with that, you can try loading dsrepair with the -AV switch, which disables disk space checking.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.