PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dead Netware server

While I was on vacation one of our Netware servers failed and will not boot. The server had a copy of a replica.

I do not need to bring the server back. So what is the best way remove the server from the replica ring? Do I just go to the master of the ring and remove it?

Thanks
Phil Jannusch
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
mdallair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Dead Netware server

Hi Phil,

Verify that each replica ring is consistent and valid:
Load DSREPAIR -a | Advanced Options | Replica and Partition Operations | (select each replica one at a time ) | View Replica Ring. If the suspect server exists in the replica ring, select it and press enter, a screen will appear entitled Replica Options: Server . Select the option entitled "Remove this Server from the Replica Ring". This will remove the suspect/crashed server from the replica ring for this partition. This information will synchronize out to the other servers in the replica ring.

This step needs to be completed for each replica that the suspect/crashed server contained.

Clean up the Tree (volume objects)
When the server object is deleted, the volume objects corresponding to it either be removed also or will go unknown; this is noted by a yellow ? beside them in NetWare Administrator (NWADMIN) or (unknown) beside the name in DOS. Using NETADMIN.EXE or NWADMIN, delete the Volume Objects corresponding the suspect/crashed server. These need to be removed before the server is re-installed so the volumes can be put in the tree correctly. Delete any object relating to the crashed server (Licensing objects, LDAP objects, backup software references, etc.) Wait for the obituaries for the volume objects, etc. to purge before re-installing the server into the tree.

Summary and Miscellaneous.
At this point all references to the suspect server should be gone. There should not be any place in the tree where you can find the server or its volumes. It is important here to make sure that all servers are synchronizing and communicating properly. Make sure the server that went down wasn't a router between two segments, etc.. SET DSTRACE=ON, SET DSTRACE=+S, SET DSTRACE=*H, make sure that everything completes correctly. You should see "SYNC: End sync of partition All processed = YES." for each partition in the tree. See TID 2909026 for more information on DSTRACE.

Also Load DSREPAIR | Report Synchronization Status. Make sure this reports all synched within the last half hour for DS versions 6.x and one hour for DS versions 7.x and 8.x and there are no errors.

You have to use ndsrepair -P -Ad if your master replica server is on linux to remove the dead server from the replica ring.

These steps where taken from TID 3338221 https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3338221

Martin
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 13:04:01 GMT, PhilJannusch
<PhilJannusch@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>While I was on vacation one of our Netware servers failed and will not
>boot. The server had a copy of a replica.
>
>I do not need to bring the server back. So what is the best way remove
>the server from the replica ring? Do I just go to the master of the
>ring and remove it?
>
>Thanks
>Phil Jannusch

This might help: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7003130

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

If this post was helpful and you are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your quick response! I removed the server from the replica ring and that stopped the other servers from complaining!

I am busy so I will remove the server object, tomorrow.

Thanks
Phil
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.